RobC

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

I have a 1999 V cooper sportspack

The fan attached to the radiator comes on when the car heats up but doesn't go off! not even after driving along the open road for a few miles!

The temp guage sits just below the half way mark. Water level is fine and so is the oil.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it a faulty thermostat? or switch? or something more serious?

#2 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

It sounds to me like youve either got a sticky relay or the switch in the botom corner is on its way out.

Not sure if the relay is in the same place on an MPI as it is on an SPI, but on my SPI there are two yellow relays on the bulkhead to the right of the engine as you look at it. The one that controls the Aux. fan is the one on the right.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

The MPi doesn't retain the mechanical fan does it? That would explain why the fan doesn't go off whilst the engine is running.

#4 RobC

RobC

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

No its controlled by the ECU.

The only things i can think of are:

Thermostat
Relay
ECU

In addition, i dont know if its related or not but i cant get any hot air out of the cabin heater.??

#5 ceejam

ceejam

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: Scottish Mini

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

There's a known problem with the Mpi temp sender wiring. A replacement section is available from Rover (Xpart) dealers for about £25. Just requires cuttign the old plug off an fitting the new section.

Had quite a few in with this problem. The original loom is a bit short and the wires get pulled with the engine moving and break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users