2 replies to this topic

#1 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

A large number of Japanese minis seem to have a lot of after market earthing kit on them and I am curious why? There are engine bay earthing kits, battery power up (gimmicks) and earthed ignition leads..

My 98 Cooper came from Japan with ignition leads that each have a separate earth strap that connects to the heads bolts. They are labelled 'Sports Delta' and have a Japanese telephone number on them. The only thing I can find on them is that they are sold by Turtle Trading (and a number of other outlets) in Japan. They have been partnered with Iridium BPR6 plugs.

As the car has a bit of a flat spot off idle, I am looking to change the plugs to non Iridium BPR6 (three look the same, number 3 tip looks a touch brown). Am considering changing the leads but curious if anyone could see a benefit in earthed leads?  

IMG_7512_zpsyzrydpfj.jpg

Edited by buznout, 09 April 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,971 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

Mmmm when leads break down you can see the spark run down the outside of the lead.

I can only see these making things worse.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

I'm not entirely sure what they're grounding! You tend to see a lot of these on JDM cars with no real explanation, just people claiming their cars run smoother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users