#31 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,960 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

Yes figures quoted are the increase in flow over that of a plain carb with no elbow or radiused entry.
Yes it would be interesting to test with the standard factory elbow, do you happen to have one ?

Phil.

yes a few but not in the UK. might sort a spare out for you.

#32 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,960 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:42 PM

What sort of effect would the filters have on the stub stacks.
Reason I'm asking is I have two HS4s and I'm looking at fitting stub stacks. The MED kit with ITG filters ect.
Do the filters effect the air flow much?

The filters are always going to cause some restriction, however minor. I doubt if it will retract from the actual effect of the stub stack though.
As with everything though what you think should work doesn't always, and what you think won't work sometimes does. It makes using a flowbench an interesting experience.

Phil.

i also think something that is often over looked is not all stubstacks are made for the same air filter design. as that can have a great effect on where the air is actually coming from.

like the filter above that needed cutting up. i am sure that it would have been fine with a KN pancake filter. (midget or Mini fitting i dont know).

#33 inchoate

inchoate

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

My Cooper S is LHD so there are major clearance issues with the brake fluid reservoir.  I ended up with conical K&N filters.

5fqfE4F.jpg

I got a set of stub stacks from APT but there were clearance issues with the conical air filter.

WqgVft2.jpg

I ended up firing up the Bridgeport and cutting them down so they'd clear the filters.

QOUiCof.jpg

U7ctYIx.jpg

They're currently on the car.  I have no idea if they're doing any good but so be it.  One of my jobs for the summer is to build a flow bench, after that's done I can do some testing and see if they're working.

#34 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

Yes figures quoted are the increase in flow over that of a plain carb with no elbow or radiused entry.
Yes it would be interesting to test with the standard factory elbow, do you happen to have one ?

Phil.

I can send you a modified albow if uiu want (hif44)

#35 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:07 AM

Inchoate I'm amazed they didn't fit as standard as they look smaller than mine. The finished article looks very nice.

It would be handy if someone made one which fits out the box!!

#36 Steve-O 2014

Steve-O 2014

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

The second one in your list flows very well, I've not tested the third type but if the radius is correctly formed it should work well to.

FECDAF13-77FD-4CBF-9412-1D8D1F061B6E.jpg

Would this filter work well with that stack or will it reduce performance / flow? http://m.ebay.co.uk/...cd969%7Ciid%3A8

#37 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

Been meaning to post this up.  Phil kindly flow-tested my 3D printed Stub Stack  It came in at a 4.5% increase over standard which I was chuffed with.  A couple of night shifts to do this week so I'll draw up another improved version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users