#1 seemax

seemax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: MINIHOLICS

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

Just developed a fuel smell. Narrowed it down to looking from underneath the car
to be coming from the drivers side just in front of the driveshaft.

Followed the fuel lines and theres a little unit that sits to the left of the carb
with a pipe in and a pipe out.

The pipe out leads around the engine to around the starter and then
stops, just dangling in thin air ?.

I've rubbed the tip and there was a fuelly smell.

What do i need to do to correct this ? :dontgetit:

Any help would be much appreciated.....

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:02 PM

From your description... and a lot of imagination....

That's the breather for the float chamber, leave it alone. But do check the float mechanism isn't sticking, as this will cause it to overflow.

#3 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Although... I'm pretty sure carbs with breathers on the float chamber breathed into a charcoal canister.

#4 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:16 PM

that is the breather pipe for the float chamber, leave that hose where it is.
sounds like your carb needs a bit of a service.

Although... I'm pretty sure carbs with breathers on the float chamber breathed into a charcoal canister.

well i dont know if its a breather or an overflow for the float chamber as mine just leads to the floor too, id say needs a service

#5 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:29 AM

It's the fuel overflow pipe. If things inside the carb get jammed and too much fuel is present, it will escape onto the floor away from all the hot things !!

Unless there is any visible liquid coming out I wouldn't have thought that was your problem.

STart by checking thoroughly everything from front to back which is connected to the fuel line. The fuel line near the rear subframe often start leaking. Also check the line the full length of the car underheath. Check the connections in and out of the fuel pump. On the carb, take the lid off the little bowl you've just described. The needle valve might be sticking.

#6 seemax

seemax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: MINIHOLICS

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

Some sound advice. Thanks peeps.

I had the car on ramps and checked underneath as it was apparent that only i could smell the fuel from inside the car. My passengers cannot.
On further investigation under the car while she was on tickover, nothing happened for a while and then the strong smell of petrol waffed down from under the drivers floor, just past the O/S driveshaft. That happens to be in the same spot where that pipe dangles from.
We didn't discover the pipe until we started looking around that area. Thats when we followed it back up to the float chamber.

I did a check under the car on the fuel lines and these all appear to be fine, but I found that the fuel smell only came into the cabin when I pulled away at a junction or lights, making me think it was coming from the front end.

Funnily enough, I did wonder whether it was the carb, seems you have all confirmed my suspicions.

Thanks again :dontgetit:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users