#1 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi folks,
Still enjoying my MPI engined Clubman estate which I built from a shell and a written off John Cooper LE which had 5000 miles on, lots of years ago. Right from the beginning it would very occasionally spit itself out of 2nd gear when going down steep hills on the overrun. The car now has 16000 miles on and the problem has never got any worse (or better!) and I just put up with it. Synchros are all good and no noises or leaks anywhere - hence leaving it for so long.
This coming winter, having finished another project, I thought I might pull the motor out and finally tackle this small problem - my question is, apart from the offending second gear and the one it slides into being original MPI - made from case hardened chocolate I'm led to believe; are there any uprated or better made parts available rather than just trying to source original stuff? I realise that mixing stuff can also lead to problems.
I've done quite a few boxes in the distant past, so all the tools are on hand and unlike many, I'm happy with the MPI long final drive - if I want to act daft, I have a Supercharged 4 litre Daimler to play in.

Any thoughts?

Ian

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Talk to John Guess at GuessWorks as he did say he had some new parts to fix the 2nd gear issue.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thought the MPi was a sturdy box from what Guessworks told me. Usually it pops out of second due to the poor quality shifter bobbins.

#4 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Many thanks for the quick replies, Nick and Steve
I'll contact him and see what he suggests and can supply, I just thought I'd source what I needed so I don't get stuck anywhere.

Regards,
Ian

#5 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Don't forget to put up the solution here :-)

#6 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

I'll do that certainly but it will be a winter layup job so don't hold your breath till then ! I have emailed John at Guessworks, who is away at the moment and will post what he suggests, although there can always be something extra which can only be discovered on stripdown.
It will also give me a chance to clean and paint the engine - the bay is already near perfect even after 8 years of (careful) use and a trip to Bavaria in 2010 to the IMM.

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users