philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: QQQQQ

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:48 PM

Hi all

Been nosing through this section for the last few days and came across it whilst tramping the net for Zcars info. I am building a Zcars R1 mini, in a bit of a rush as I am trying to finish it and run it before our baby arrives in the next two weeks! I have some newbie questions about the kit - the main two are:

1) The fuel pump - do I really have to pay close to £100 for a Rover V8 one? I was thinking more about £20 from somewhere (new)? Am I right in thinking that I need a pump capable of 43 psi directly in between the fuel tank and injection rail (through a regulator)?

2) Gearbox - I have the gear cable that Zcars supply nearly connected - and here comes the silly question - how can I find out what angle I connect the little rotary bit to the engine please? Has anyone got a pic of there own and how it looks in neutral?

Current state of play with the car is :

i) Front suspension nearly complete - awaiting a few things from Zcars that I didn't get first time around (suspension bushes and suitable upper suspension bolt as one I had was too short; also had a suspension bracket that was wrongly handed so have to get them to send me another of these.
ii) Rear of car is in and rollcage bolted up apart from some minor adjustment with a hammer outstanding.
iii) Gear linkage - waiting on mouinting plate under the transmission tunnel - I think? that I didn't get with kit.
iv) Handbrake
v) Cooling
vi) Fuel system
vii) Battery and connect electrics
viii) Clutch

Ideally aiming to hear it running before our baby arrives, even more ideally, do a track day to shake it down, and even more ideally, but impossible - get it to scrutineering stage - not a chance.

Its a quick job I am aiming for a the mo - this car will be with me forever so I can always reshell/redo a job if needed in the future - for now just want to get it running and drivable.

Thanks in advance for the help. I will put some pics up in a min, if I can work out how, I ran as a 1275cc in Loton Park in Shrewsbury last year - will put a picture up if I can find one that isn't copyrighted, so you may see the car looking tidy as well in this bunch of pics.

PS got some great ideas off this site - liking the thing that displays gear number, reckon should be easy enough to adapt a kit from Maplins to do it on the cheap perhaps?

PPS - strip out all non-essential wiring - 4.5k saving! a whole black back of rubbish!Attached File  IMAG0317.JPG   1.15MB   53 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0318.JPG   1.24MB   59 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0322.JPG   1.15MB   79 downloadsttachment]Attached File  IMAG0323.JPG   1010.03K   88 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0324.JPG   976.02K   57 downloads[attachment=
9859:attachment]Attached File  IMAG0326.JPG   962.61K   29 downloadsAttached File  IMAG0327.JPG   1.19MB   103 downloads[attac
ment=19862:attachment]Attached File  IMAG0329.JPG   1.06MB   36 downloadsAttached File  03_10_05_1227.jpg   72.93K   16 downloads
attachment=19865:attachment]Attached File  26_05_06_1411.jpg   23.81K   18 downloadsAttached File  26_05_06_1530.jpg   28.93K   28 downloadsment]Attached File  29_04_06_1154.jpg   24.23K   19 downloads

Attached Files

#2 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

Wow, Have got to get one of those giant screen monitors to see pics

#3 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

the pivot bolt on the bracket/rose joint cable needs to be directly below the shaft on the r1 as its above on the busa, you will know if its wrong as 1st gear will be pull and 2nd to 6th is push forward, You will notice that the cable is a little too long but you just have to curl it a little to fit it.

Cheers

Ps did you ask for the extra diagonal to be fitted? for competition use?
Whereabouts are you based as were organizing a trackday meet for bike engined minis
Cheers

#4 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

the pivot bolt on the bracket/rose joint cable needs to be directly below the shaft on the r1 as its above on the busa, you will know if its wrong as 1st gear will be pull and 2nd to 6th is push forward, You will notice that the cable is a little too long but you just have to curl it a little to fit it.

Cheers

Ps did you ask for the extra diagonal to be fitted? for competition use?
Whereabouts are you based as were organizing a trackday meet for bike engined minis
Cheers

Hi Mark, thanks for the help - I am based in Cardiff - when the trackday goes down would be a big help to me finishing off if I can get to it.

I am planning to hillclimb the mini yep, the cage is 4mm CDS

PS - checked your car out on your site -nice!

cheers
phil

#5 cardboard

cardboard

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

damn all you r1's im so jealous!!

good luck looks great

#6 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:54 PM

Hi all

Been nosing through this section for the last few days and came across it whilst tramping the net for Zcars info. I am building a Zcars R1 mini, in a bit of a rush as I am trying to finish it and run it before our baby arrives in the next two weeks! I have some newbie questions about the kit - the main two are:

1) The fuel pump - do I really have to pay close to £100 for a Rover V8 one? I was thinking more about £20 from somewhere (new)? Am I right in thinking that I need a pump capable of 43 psi directly in between the fuel tank and injection rail (through a regulator)?

2) Gearbox - I have the gear cable that Zcars supply nearly connected - and here comes the silly question - how can I find out what angle I connect the little rotary bit to the engine please? Has anyone got a pic of there own and how it looks in neutral?

i) Front suspension nearly complete - awaiting a few things from Zcars that I didn't get first time around (suspension bushes and suitable upper suspension bolt as one I had was too short; also had a suspension bracket that was wrongly handed so have to get them to send me another of these.
ii) Rear of car is in and rollcage bolted up apart from some minor adjustment with a hammer outstanding.
iii) Gear linkage - waiting on mouinting plate under the transmission tunnel - I think? that I didn't get with kit.
iv) Handbrake
v) Cooling
vi) Fuel system
viii) Clutch

Ideally aiming to hear it running before our baby arrives, even more ideally, do a track day to shake it down, and even more ideally, but impossible - get it to scrutineering stage - not a chance.

Its a quick job I am aiming for a the mo - this car will be with me forever so I can always reshell/redo a job if needed in the future - for now just want to get it running and drivable.

Thanks in advance for the help. I will put some pics up in a min, if I can work out how, I ran as a 1275cc in Loton Park in Shrewsbury last year - will put a picture up if I can find one that isn't copyrighted, so you may see the car looking tidy as well in this bunch of pics.

PS got some great ideas off this site - liking the thing that displays gear number, reckon should be easy enough to adapt a kit from Maplins to do it on the cheap perhaps?

PPS - strip out all non-essential wiring - 4.5k saving! a whole black back of rubbish!

Here are some more pictures of my original build (non zcar) of the hillclimb car I ran:

I don't use my site as much these days - used to use a php forum but couldn't be bothered to set the permissions and got hacked - oh well.

NB - the engine is no longer for sale - and don't bother with the videos they will bore you - I only did them to sell the engine - thanks

http://www.photosofm...inibuild/a1.gif
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/a3.gif
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/b2.jpg
http://www.photosofm...nibuild/d10.jpg
http://www.photosofm...nibuild/d11.jpg
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/d5.jpg
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/d6.jpg

My car in action at the hillclimb:
http://www.photosofm...uk/336_3630.jpg

If anyone can help me further with my questions above that would be grand. I will doubtless have plenty more..

thanks
phil.

#7 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

how you doing phil. yeah loads of help from this site lots of people doing the r1 minis. its looking all good mate.

think pete and ade are running burton fuel pumps and with the injection the fuel rail regulates pressure. dont hold me to that but im sure they will see this and let ya know
havent touched my mini for a while. Eddie (vps motorsport) has given me a date for my parts now so will be starting again soon! engine is next.... got one spare?! hehehe. anyway mate keep us posted!

dean

Edited by dean_chad, 23 September 2006 - 01:22 PM.

#8 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

how you doing phil. yeah loads of help from this site lots of people doing the r1 minis. its looking all good mate.

think pete and ade are running burton fuel pumps and with the injection the fuel rail regulates pressure. dont hold me to that but im sure they will see this and let ya know
havent touched my mini for a while. Eddie (vps motorsport) has given me a date for my parts now so will be starting again soon! engine is next.... got one spare?! hehehe. anyway mate keep us posted!

dean

Hi mate - just been looking at your project - coming on nicely - like the front you have but couldn't afford that - planned as an upgrade b4 I get too old to drive it ;D

I am trying to figure out where you are with it - are we both about the same stage ? I think you may be slightly ahead of me - posted some more pictures up.

cheers
phil

Hi all

iv) Handbrake
v) Cooling
vi) Fuel system
viii) Clutch

PPS - strip out all non-essential wiring - 4.5k saving! a whole black back of rubbish!

Here are some more pictures of my original build (non zcar) of the hillclimb car I ran:

I don't use my site as much these days - used to use a php forum but couldn't be bothered to set the permissions and got hacked - oh well.

NB - the engine is no longer for sale - and don't bother with the videos they will bore you - I only did them to sell the engine - thanks

http://www.photosofm...inibuild/a1.gif
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/a3.gif
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/b2.jpg
http://www.photosofm...nibuild/d10.jpg
http://www.photosofm...nibuild/d11.jpg
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/d5.jpg
http://www.photosofm...inibuild/d6.jpg

My car in action at the hillclimb:
http://www.photosofm...uk/336_3630.jpg

If anyone can help me further with my questions above that would be grand. I will doubtless have plenty more..

thanks
phil.

Attached Files

#9 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

erm lol well the fact that u have wiring and an engine is a give away!! you may be a little more ahead!!! hoping to get the engine this or next month well it would be nice. got zcars sortin the wiring so 1 job i dont have to mess with! did you have a go in the demo car buddy?

dean

#10 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi Phil,

Mine and Ade's are running a bosch pump as recommended by Chris. These run at a slightly higher pressure than required so you don't need a regulator as the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail does the job for you. Bosch part number is 0580464070 and costs about £75 plus vat. Just make sure you put a decent fliter between tank and pump.

Pete

#11 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

erm lol well the fact that u have wiring and an engine is a give away!! you may be a little more ahead!!! hoping to get the engine this or next month well it would be nice. got zcars sortin the wiring so 1 job i dont have to mess with! did you have a go in the demo car buddy?

dean

oh yes! I have never been in anything that fast! The handling really impressed me, although the rear was a tad too soft for my liking. I was impressed when he accelerated in 3, but then noted there were three more gears to go!! - I have only ever driven FW b4 so am preparing myself for a total culture shock. I take it you went in it as well? Chris did my wiring for me as well. - just because the engine is actually in doesn't mean I am that further ahead than you ;D

Hi Phil,

Mine and Ade's are running a bosch pump as recommended by Chris. These run at a slightly higher pressure than required so you don't need a regulator as the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail does the job for you. Bosch part number is 0580464070 and costs about £75 plus vat. Just make sure you put a decent fliter between tank and pump.

Pete

Thanks for that - take it for that price the fuel pump also makes my car look as good as yours :w00t: (still used to mini prices for things :w00t:

I will have a shop around - thanks for the part number - makes life very easy -

#12 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

dean

oh yes! I have never been in anything that fast! The handling really impressed me, although the rear was a tad too soft for my liking. I was impressed when he accelerated in 3, but then noted there were three more gears to go!! - I have only ever driven FW b4 so am preparing myself for a total culture shock. I take it you went in it as well? Chris did my wiring for me as well. - just because the engine is actually in doesn't mean I am that further ahead than you ;D

Hi Phil,

Pete

Thanks for that - take it for that price the fuel pump also makes my car look as good as yours :w00t: (still used to mini prices for things :w00t:

I will have a shop around - thanks for the part number - makes life very easy -

Are you running it via a relay? Or is there no need?

thanks for the help
phil.

#13 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

thanks for the help
phil.

You should have a relay in your loom already to power the original R1 pump but if you have only got a fuel pump output from the ECU, you had better run a relay.

Cheers

#14 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

Not running it through the bike ecu. Connected via a relay to an ignition live. Should really have one of those cut off switches in case of an accident but couldn't be bothered to fit one :w00t: . Not planning on crashing it ;D .

#15 philmin

philmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

[quote name='markrally73' post='350920' date='Sep 24 2006, 11:44 AM']
[quote name='philmin' post='350743' date='Sep 23 2006, 11:19 PM']

thanks for the help
phil.
[/quote]

You should have a relay in your loom already to power the original R1 pump but if you have only got a fuel pump output from the ECU, you had better run a relay.

Cheers
[/quote]

thanks guys - need to go through what wires are what then that Chris labelled for me, have a feeling that to demo it running to me he just connected the fuel pump to the battery directly? but I wasn't taking that much notice - had been up since 3am that morning to get to him from Cardif - long way in a c****y van!

not looking forward to fitting the cut off either - its easy enough in a normal mini - had the fuel pressure cut off, oil pressure cut off and the alternator protected - all via the cut-off - want to aim to do the same again really - want it so a scrutineer can't complain ultimately.

[quote name='pete' post='351098' date='Sep 24 2006, 06:50 PM']
Not running it through the bike ecu. Connected via a relay to an ignition live. Should really have one of those cut off switches in case of an accident but couldn't be bothered to fit one :D . Not planning on crashing it ;D .
[/quote]

thanks guys - need to go through what wires are what then that Chris labelled for me, have a feeling that to demo it running to me he just connected the fuel pump to the battery directly? but I wasn't taking that much notice - had been up since 3am that morning to get to him from Cardif - long way in a c****y van!

not looking forward to fitting the cut off either - its easy enough in a normal mini - had the fuel pressure cut off, oil pressure cut off and the alternator protected - all via the cut-off - want to aim to do the same again really - want it so a scrutineer can't complain ultimately.

[quote name='philmin' post='351205' date='Sep 24 2006, 09:51 PM']

thanks for the help
phil.
[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

Not running it through the bike ecu. Connected via a relay to an ignition live. Should really have one of those cut off switches in case of an accident but couldn't be bothered to fit one :- . Not planning on crashing it :w00t: .
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you off to combe next weekend ? its miniworld action day isn't it?

[quote name='philmin' post='351205' date='Sep 24 2006, 09:52 PM']

thanks for the help
phil.
[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

Not running it through the bike ecu. Connected via a relay to an ignition live. Should really have one of those cut off switches in case of an accident but couldn't be bothered to fit one :crazy: . Not planning on crashing it :w00t: .
[/quote]

[quote name='philmin' post='351205' date='Sep 24 2006, 09:51 PM']

thanks for the help
phil.
[/quote]

Cheers
[/quote]

Not running it through the bike ecu. Connected via a relay to an ignition live. Should really have one of those cut off switches in case of an accident but couldn't be bothered to fit one :- . Not planning on crashing it :( .
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you off to combe next weekend ? its miniworld action day isn't it?
[/quote]

that questions to everyone with bike engined minis (BEM's?). Want to see how it all fits together - won't be pinching ideas though - got my own - ta.
phil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users