#1 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

O.k. Not happy now. >:dontgetit: The car was left for a few days outside the house. No problems present when turned off. Got back into it the other to drive to work and hey presto :D all happened. Complete lack of power (electrics). Thought it was flat battery so strapped misussessss pug to battery and still naff all. Head scratching! Got back from work and found that there is an earth on fuse number four (four block fuse block), side and instrument pack lights. I have traced the earth to the side with the red and green wire. This is where I have done alot more head scratching. This side is the side light loom. Have pulled all bulbs out and still the earth. Have undone the loom and looked at wires as I was getting desparate. Has anyone ever had anything like this? Can't get my baby started!! HEEELLLLPPPPP :'( :'( :'(

#2 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:42 PM

Well i'm no electrics expert, but the 4th fuse down (15 amp) runs the "Side & Tail Lights, Panel Lights & Instruments", so shouldn't they be permanantely earthed since the ignition switch has no control over them?

Anyway what year/model Mini do you own and has it got an alarm/immobiliser?

Edited by taffy1967, 22 September 2006 - 02:42 PM.

#3 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

Mini city 91(H Reg). The thing was when I attached the missuses car to the battery the voltage across the battery was at 1.3v, until i pulled the fuse out then it sprang back to 13v when i could then start the car. Charged the battery over night while i was chasing an earth and do you think I could find one???!!! ;D I found a stray live crimped wire behind the instrument pack, a solid green with female crimp, that decided to spark across the back of the dash when i pulled it out so that has now been chopped and insulated with some heat shrink. The thing is this seems to be intermittent. I can start the car one minute then the next the solenoid sounds like a machine gun. Could this be the problem? would the solenoid drain the battery? I thought this but only if the ign block was knackered!!! A still hunting the ghost in the machine! so will let you know. Until then (Head scratching)!! by the way have ended up redrawing the electrical diagrams in the haines manual as I am getting peeved with turning the page to find out what number 65 is!! so i will post them up as i go.... I think I will do the whole lot, its easier!

Lightning circuit basic

I will post more as I make them!

Jez

Sorry Taff, no immobiliser!

Edited by Gizzum, 23 September 2006 - 10:19 AM.

#4 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

O.k.

Seems that all is well now... ;D The little gremlin has had his fun and has now F****d off! Git! >:w00t: It may have been the live green wire behind the dash that was shorting out a killing it all off. Damn you rover for your little extras!!!!! It now runslike a dream so a quick tidy up of a few wires has solved the problems.

I am still sorting out the circuit diagrams so will post them soon

All the best

Jez

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:43 PM

if it was a green wire with a orange tracer behind the dash its just plain power supply for rev counter, fan, and lots of other things, i think plain dark green is the power for the brakes but the same circuit also does the coil and thru the ignition barrel the start circuit too!!

just check u have brake lights!

#6 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:22 AM

Cheers Fikus will have a look.... A quick one for you, looking at your spec was wondering if you cam feels lumpy in you r setup. I am on the lookout for a cam and still can't decide which one. Have now decided either for 276/sw5...

What you reckon then????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users