83 replies to this topic

#16 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:14 PM

So after a holiday, Christmas, illness, and general laziness, I got back onto looking at the Mini this morning. I've decided to get a professional to do all the shell work, I will just do the strip down and reassembly. I'm thinking of using The Real Mini Company in Oxford.

Still trying to get the subframe off. The lower front mounting bolts (which both sheared) I managed to cut through using a saw. This allowed me to completely free the drivers side.

Ed8GxNS.jpg

This allowed me to get a proper look at the corrosion behind there

zdoODzw.jpg

However the top bolt still seems to be holding it on. I cannot see where it is still attached. The bolt sheared, but it is still holding it in place somehow. There isn't enough room to get a saw in there to cut through it.

WMfXNmT.jpg

#17 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

Not updated this for a while. I managed to get the subframe off in the end, had to get a small saw up through the gap and cut through the bolt. To do this I had to removed the radius arm, which made access a lot easier.

cTOZQmV.jpg

I then got the engine and front subframe out, which allowed a clear view of the condition of the shell.

dOv18Dj.jpg

AXWy9tm.jpg

Front subframe seems completely fine. Think I will get it shot blasted and then either painted or powder coated. Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

The engine was running fine, however the clutch was causing a slight problem so I will look at that before the engine goes back in.

For now anyway the priority is the bodywork

DK7q9Qx.jpg

hfEcOFv.jpg

9tzow9V.jpg

PPZypt9.jpg

unMTnMx.jpg

9ecGrAs.jpg

e7X76Rt.jpg

4oC1eFB.jpg

Bz86m7M.jpg

4XFRz9d.jpg

1jLvoty.jpg

DJL9DVX.jpg

6X7pMj3.jpg

uz40fWU.jpg

lSQKIk0.jpg

AZckVs8.jpg

#18 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

4JWAJzm.jpg

NCUMIsT.jpg

HULRdpL.jpg

#19 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:05 PM

Finally got it out of the garage anyway, and its been sent off for repair. No way could I tackle that welding!

h6RU02y.jpg

weHFEKM.jpg

Nqrqogs.jpg

I've bought the first new shiny bits! Some new black bumpers

C2lIola.jpg

And attempted to dismantle the rear subframe. The radius arm on one side is stuck. Two of the bolts undone, the other two are stuck solid and are just rounding off.

m2G3N7M.jpg

I've managed to get the trumpet out from the other side. How do you get the cone off though? Its seems impossible to remove.

S4zfGv0.jpg

The front shocks had no resistance left at all. Compress them and they just stay compressed.

t2nS1b6.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with my steering rack. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, however due to its inaccessible nature, am I just as well to put a new one in?

#20 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

I would suggest having the front subframe blasted and powdercoated.  The powdercoating seems able to resist brake fluid spills much better than paint.  if you're replacing the cones heating the metal centre part may help dislodge them - but it might be a good time to replace the trumpets with adjustable hi-Los then you don't need to bother!

Edited by johnR, 23 March 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#21 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

The shox shouldn't rebound - there's no spring in them - the fluid in them just passes through small holes thus damping the action of the rubber cones

#22 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

The shox shouldn't rebound - there's no spring in them - the fluid in them just passes through small holes thus damping the action of the rubber cones

Thanks, I didn't realise that.

I will replace them anyway though I think. The old ones were looking manky! 

#23 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:13 PM

Check for play etc with the rack but if there's no problems simply regrease it and refit it. Also don't change the rubbers unless they are warn as some of the new rubber parts quality is poor.

#24 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

New standard shox aren't very expensive and yours do look a bit battered! I used new standard ones in my re-build a couple of years ago and have found the back end quite bouncy - I guess you get what you pay for and perhaps the lightweight back end of a mini needs something better?

#25 Oceanspeed

Oceanspeed

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hi, great posts and photos of your progress so far!.  I have an original 850 city from 1979. You are correct in that there are very few left. Most have been modified away from original release.   Purchased in 2014 and have spent the past 3.5 years fully restoring it back to factory. Has about 38,000 on the clock.  I'm getting pretty close to finishing now and will put some pics up soon showing the journey... take loads of photos and make notes, you will definitely need them..

Cheers

#26 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi, great posts and photos of your progress so far!.  I have an original 850 city from 1979. You are correct in that there are very few left. Most have been modified away from original release.   Purchased in 2014 and have spent the past 3.5 years fully restoring it back to factory. Has about 38,000 on the clock.  I'm getting pretty close to finishing now and will put some pics up soon showing the journey... take loads of photos and make notes, you will definitely need them..

Cheers

Great that you also have one. I'm trying to get mine back to as close to original as possible. It will have a 1275 engine in it, and disc brakes, but that's it. I do still have the original 850 engine though, has about 90k on it. Still ran fine but was using a bit of oil.

#27 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

If you're going for originality I would suggest re-fitting the 850 engine as that is one of the major things that defines it - keep the 1275 for the next project!

#28 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

If you're going for originality I would suggest re-fitting the 850 engine as that is one of the major things that defines it - keep the 1275 for the next project!

It will be refitted at some point. 

#29 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

Front subframe stripped down. Getting this blasted then I will paint it

lkixLL9.jpg

#30 CharlieNZ

CharlieNZ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Nice progress on what will be a nice mini. Looking at that shell, it's good that you caught it now, and also good that it's being done professionally. Someone has clearly put a lot of love into this mini in the past.

When is the shell due back?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users