77 replies to this topic

#46 Mcgreen

Mcgreen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

If you do end up getting a 998 join a local mini club so there's always probably help at working on the car and learning. There's always something to do with minis

You definitely need a decent tool kit. Try to get as many d imperial sized spanners/sockets as possible because depending on year your modern metric tools might not fit properly.

What are minis like driving in the rain? Obviously in England we're not short of it especially in winter. Do they tend to leak?

#47 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Depends on the seals condition, doors fitted correctly, and general rust.

Leaking various from Mini to Mini, I've drove mine as a daily for two and half years now and has only just started to leak from the air vents in very heavy rain!

#48 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

These cars were used as daily transport for thousands of people for forty years, if it's kept in good condition there's no reason it shouldn't be any different now, getting a nice clean standard car and giving it a full service and pump it full of waxoyl is the key.

#49 Corey96Williams

Corey96Williams

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but have you driven one? Most younger people assume they are brand new cars with chrome attached. We can all admit this, Minis are ****. It feels like you're sat in a metal shell with an engine attached. This is no bad thing if it's your thing, it's more my thing than soft modern cars. 

It isn't too bad with reliability, but just know things go all the time. Nothing major usually, just non-stop hassle. Your indicators won't work, then your lights won't work. It's a love-hate relationship - but I kind of enjoy that. 

Keep in mind these cars are valuable and are so easy to steal. If you will be leaving it parked around town it may not be there! They are one of the most stolen cars in the UK at the moment. It will generate a lot of attention parked up too, some good, some bad. It's common to hear of Minis being keyed by jealous people. This is very rare when you look at every Mini owners experiences, but it plays on your mind. You won't leave it any where open without worrying. 

For £2,500 you'll be looking at a rough one to be honest. You may have a fantasy of having a lovely vintage mini, but you may not like the idea of a rusty old one. Having bubbles here and there may not seem bad, but it will only get worse and welding and spraying is an expensive process. 

I bought mine as a first car, looking back I don't regret it. I'm probably going to sell it as I've bought a modern car for work 7 months ago with the plan to use it on the weekends, but I just don't use it any more.

I wouldn't say don't get one, but just forget the fantasy of driving into sixth form/college in a stunning vintage mini with everyone looking at you. It's an ancient car and it wasn't the best when it was new. In fact, 99% of minis bonnets don't fit right. That should say a lot about how bad they are really!  :lol:

#50 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

Getting a Mini as a first car is not necessarily a bad idea as long as you go into it with your eyes open. Yes, they were regularly used as daily drivers for many years but they also always started to rust very quickly (as did all cars designed in the 50s/60s/70s). And, as with most cars of that era, they typically need a bit of regular mechanical tinkering to keep them running well. Things can and do go wrong with the mechanicals, which are generally not too hard to fix, but if you depend on the car as your main mode of transport you have to be prepared for these problems to occur at 7am on a January morning when it's cold and wet and dark. Unlike a modern car, which will not rust and which will generally be ready to go as soon as you turn the key, a Mini can't be taken for granted. It's really important to keep on top of maintenance, both in terms of the mechanicals and the body. 

What to look for? Buy the car with the best bodywork you can. Rust is rarely 'surface rust' on a Mini: they tend to rot from the inside out, so when you can see rust on the surface there is usually more underneath. Panels are cheap but if you can't do the work yourself the cost will mount up. In particular, look out for 'oversills' - make sure the sills along the sides between the wheels have the correct open vents/flutes. Automatics tend to be cheaper than manuals but can be a good bet if they have been maintained properly (this is very important owing to the unusual design of the Mini auto box) as they tend to be elderly owner/low mileage cars so the body is in better than average condition for the age.

#51 Mcgreen

Mcgreen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Getting a Mini as a first car is not necessarily a bad idea as long as you go into it with your eyes open. Yes, they were regularly used as daily drivers for many years but they also always started to rust very quickly (as did all cars designed in the 50s/60s/70s). And, as with most cars of that era, they typically need a bit of regular mechanical tinkering to keep them running well. Things can and do go wrong with the mechanicals, which are generally not too hard to fix, but if you depend on the car as your main mode of transport you have to be prepared for these problems to occur at 7am on a January morning when it's cold and wet and dark. Unlike a modern car, which will not rust and which will generally be ready to go as soon as you turn the key, a Mini can't be taken for granted. It's really important to keep on top of maintenance, both in terms of the mechanicals and the body. 

What to look for? Buy the car with the best bodywork you can. Rust is rarely 'surface rust' on a Mini: they tend to rot from the inside out, so when you can see rust on the surface there is usually more underneath. Panels are cheap but if you can't do the work yourself the cost will mount up. In particular, look out for 'oversills' - make sure the sills along the sides between the wheels have the correct open vents/flutes. Automatics tend to be cheaper than manuals but can be a good bet if they have been maintained properly (this is very important owing to the unusual design of the Mini auto box) as they tend to be elderly owner/low mileage cars so the body is in better than average condition for the age.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but have you driven one? Most younger people assume they are brand new cars with chrome attached. We can all admit this, Minis are ****. It feels like you're sat in a metal shell with an engine attached. This is no bad thing if it's your thing, it's more my thing than soft modern cars. 

It isn't too bad with reliability, but just know things go all the time. Nothing major usually, just non-stop hassle. Your indicators won't work, then your lights won't work. It's a love-hate relationship - but I kind of enjoy that. 

Keep in mind these cars are valuable and are so easy to steal. If you will be leaving it parked around town it may not be there! They are one of the most stolen cars in the UK at the moment. It will generate a lot of attention parked up too, some good, some bad. It's common to hear of Minis being keyed by jealous people. This is very rare when you look at every Mini owners experiences, but it plays on your mind. You won't leave it any where open without worrying. 

For £2,500 you'll be looking at a rough one to be honest. You may have a fantasy of having a lovely vintage mini, but you may not like the idea of a rusty old one. Having bubbles here and there may not seem bad, but it will only get worse and welding and spraying is an expensive process. 

I bought mine as a first car, looking back I don't regret it. I'm probably going to sell it as I've bought a modern car for work 7 months ago with the plan to use it on the weekends, but I just don't use it any more.
I wouldn't say don't get one, but just forget the fantasy of driving into sixth form/college in a stunning vintage mini with everyone looking at you. It's an ancient car and it wasn't the best when it was new. In fact, 99% of minis bonnets don't fit right. That should say a lot about how bad they are really!  :lol:

Thanks for both of your replys, people have already addressed the issues of rust and how 2.5k won't get me an immaculate mini. I gather that. As for have I driven one, the answer is no, however if everyone's opinions on this thread are true then it should have good handling, be slow, and feel like a go kart (of which I've done a lot whilst growing up). I know that it won't be as well equipped as a modern car, you can see that from taking a look at the interior of these minis.

However do you guys have any experience with the rain topic (which I previously mentioned). I've heard people buying new window seals and they still leak. This is obviously an issue I'd want to avoid

Edited by Mcgreen, 15 July 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#52 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

However do you guys have any experience with the rain topic (which I previously mentioned). I've heard people buying new window seals and they still leak. This is obviously an issue I'd want to avoid

Mine is pampered and doesn't ever go out in the rain! :-) 

#53 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

If you do end up getting a 998 join a local mini club so there's always probably help at working on the car and learning. There's always something to do with minis

You definitely need a decent tool kit. Try to get as many d imperial sized spanners/sockets as possible because depending on year your modern metric tools might not fit properly.

What are minis like driving in the rain? Obviously in England we're not short of it especially in winter. Do they tend to leak?
I drive my car in all weathers. Right through the winter. Just make sure you have good 4 season tyres and brakes are good condition. Have plenty of de-icer in your car and if you can when it gets cold, give your car plenty of time to warm up before driving.
I've never had any issues with leaky seals, just make sure they're new, fitted correctly and never damaged. If you get one with fitted rear quarter windows they leak less than the opening windows, however saying that, I have openly nh widows and they don't leak.

Edited by greenmini1275, 15 July 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#54 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for both of your replys, people have already addressed the issues of rust and how 2.5k won't get me an immaculate mini. I gather that. As for have I driven one, the answer is no, however if everyone's opinions on this thread are true then it should have good handling, be slow, and feel like a go kart (of which I've done a lot whilst growing up). I know that it won't be as well equipped as a modern car, you can see that from taking a look at the interior of these minis.

I have had Mini's as daily drivers since 1974 and then as a summer weekend only classic driver since 2005........every single one of my Minis leaked water inside and had wet front carpets sooner or later if you left the carpets in over the winter months. Now they don't get wet as my classic Mini is rarely out in the rain and my daily driver is a 2002 MINI (R50) which is also fun to drive every day but does not leak! :lol:

#55 Mcgreen

Mcgreen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

I have had Mini's as daily drivers since 1974 and then as a summer weekend only classic driver since 2005........every single one of my Minis leaked water inside and had wet front carpets sooner or later if you left the carpets in over the winter months. Now they don't get wet as my classic Mini is rarely out in the rain and my daily driver is a 2002 MINI (R50) which is also fun to drive every day but does not leak! :lol:

I drive my car in all weathers. Right through the winter. Just make sure you have good 4 season tyres and brakes are good condition. Have plenty of de-icer in your car and if you can when it gets cold, give your car plenty of time to warm up before driving.
I've never had any issues with leaky seals, just make sure they're new, fitted correctly and never damaged. If you get one with fitted rear quarter windows they leak less than the opening windows, however saying that, I have openly nh widows and they don't leak.

So I'm guessing it varies for each mini as both of you have had different experiences. I know it's a classic car and I'd try my best to make sure all the seals are correctly fitted etc. But at the end of the day I'd be annoyed if it leaked.

#56 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

You'll really need to enter into mini ownership with a sense of adventure, and a high tolerance level for having to faff about with it I guess is the tag line here. I had an idea of what I thought a mini would be like to drive before I bought my first one, and I can tell you - the reality was very different. I was amazed at how noisy it was, it wasn't very comfortable, it pulled to one side on braking, the lights didn't work right, and when I got it home it wouldn't start again as the alternator wasn't charging the battery. But despite all that, there was something about the wee car that just appealed to me. Over the years I've owned better and better ones, but even so they have all had their issues. I have never actually been left stranded by a mini, but I have bodged an exhaust together by the roadside with a length of wire, I have had to drive with a rag between the bonnet hinge and part of the wiring loom as it was shorting out and blowing fuses (yes, I had spare fuses with me...).  I also drove a mini for about a year that would not start on the key but would bump start perfectly - so I had to get it rolling, jump in and bump it . Then half way through my 12 mile journey I had to pull over, add clutch fluid and with my left foot on the clutch pedal to pump it, and leaning round into the engine bay, open and close the clutch slave cylinder to bleed it (due to a leaking slave cylinder seal).

This might seem a bit severe and daunting, but I should point out that when I bought that first mini I knew nothing about car maintenance  - I had some general engineering aptitude though. I'm sure if you choose wisely you will avoid any major issues, but I just wanted to illustrate how different mini ownership can be from a modern daily. If you genuinely want to become proficient at amateur mechanics, and you have some patience and a good sense of humour (the most important trait!) then you will enjoy the fact that you are able to do all this stuff and form a bond with the little car, looking down your nose at all those driving around without a clue about their cars :proud:  And if you join a club, you'll never be short of laughs with all the silly stuff that happens with minis. I remember a run where the lead car's exhaust fell clean off. We just lifted it up, popped it in the back of the guy on the run that had a clubman estate and carried on to the destination, where a few club members got the car up on some pallets that were lying around and fixed it.

So as said by many, definitely go into it with your eyes open. Minis can be very reliable in the sense that they don't constantly 'stop working' and leave you stranded, and in contrast to most modern cars you can actually fix many faults by the roadside well enough to get you home, but they will definitely throw up weird faults on a fairly regular basis if used daily.  I personally don't always love driving mine, sometimes it annoys the heck out of me, but I always get over it and on a good day on a nice twisty road, there's nothing to beat it.

I would strongly suggest that you try to get an opportunity to drive a mini before buying though, just in case you immediately decide it's not for you. Though I doubt that would happen.

EDIT:  A good impression of mini ownership can be formed by reading the long running thread 'What did you do to your mini today' in the Mini Chat section. You'll see the mixture of pride, frustration and humour that is part and parcel of mini ownership!

Edited by spiguy, 15 July 2017 - 10:43 PM.

#57 Mcgreen

Mcgreen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

I would strongly suggest that you try to get an opportunity to drive a mini before buying though, just in case you immediately decide it's not for you. Though I doubt that would happen.

Yeah see this is my problem, I just can't see me learning to drive in some £500 banger just for a couple months then buying a 998. It just seems like a waste of money. I'd rather learn in the mini however obviously that means not being able to test drive one.

Thanks for linking to that thread that'll be useful.

#58 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

i had a mini as a first car and loved it but also would have appreciate greatly any kind of modern hatch e.g. fiesta,clio etc

Pros are : unique,classic car status,insurance is low compared to new cars, handling great, style great , fuel economy great, everyone loves it. Learn so much if DIY,plenty of power even from a standard 998, brakes are pretty good to. Sound great,

cons are : constantly servicing it repairing it , rust issues, reliability, in winter is very cold, my windscreen frosted on the inside! Slight concern of people wanting to steal it, parts prices have risen a lot since I started for e.g. minisport 8.4 brake disc was £7 when I got one years ago , now its nearly double , as is with most items for the mini , yoko a539's used to be £40 , now there £60+, One thing I consider quite serious though is the lower back pain a mini can cause, because your legs are twisted to the side it can be crippling on the lower back , especially bad after gym or work . Not many garages will know how to ssetup a minis fuelling etc...

#59 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

Depends on the seals condition, doors fitted correctly, and general rust.

Leaking various from Mini to Mini, I've drove mine as a daily for two and half years now and has only just started to leak from the air vents in very heavy rain!

I'm just going to requote this as I don't think you saw it originally!

#60 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

My 1st one leaked from the air vents in heavy rain and if i hit a puddle at speed. 
my current one is (touch wood) leak free at the moment...

as for wet/winter driving, i drove last winter on these and it was fine. grip in the dry is unbelievable and grip in the wet is very good for the tyre, snow and ice was a tad iffy but it got me to uni and back.
 13inchmaxis_exp__00607.1384188129.380.38

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users