24 replies to this topic

#16 Ian Hardaker

Ian Hardaker

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:36 AM

Great mod! can you post all the dimensions, I may get a batch made if it's as simple as it seems. Also the link above for the seal doesn't appear to work?

#17 Ian Hardaker

Ian Hardaker

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Looking at the UJ, I can't see a grub screw, but there are a couple of Phillips head screws... Are these tapped into the shafts in some way?

#18 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

Great mod! can you post all the dimensions, I may get a batch made if it's as simple as it seems. Also the link above for the seal doesn't appear to work?

Looking at the UJ, I can't see a grub screw, but there are a couple of Phillips head screws... Are these tapped into the shafts in some way?

I've fixed the link, you'll be able to get the same thing near you.

It's not a grub screw per se as I picture them, it's just a little set screw, does the same thing though.

The engine will be coming out in the next couple of months, I'll note down the sizes then.  If you subscribe to the thread ^^^ you'll get an update.

#19 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

Great work. My car not been on road for 15 years (5 years in my ownership) and this seems a great improvement when its back. Im almost there 🙈

#20 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

15,000 miles, no drips  :highfive:

#21 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

It's not a grub screw per se as I picture them, it's just a little set screw, does the same thing though.

The engine will be coming out in the next couple of months, I'll note down the sizes then.  If you subscribe to the thread ^^^ you'll get an update.

Shame you never posted the dimensions! Sounds like this is the way to go. 

#22 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

Shame you never posted the dimensions! Sounds like this is the way to go. 

Sorry, yeah, I simply forgot in the excitement of getting the car back on the road!  I meant to measure and draw it up.  I'll see if it can be measured from under the car.

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

I've taken a leaf from Tim's note pad a little while back and finally got around to fitting up a Uni-joint, similar to how you've done it, only after a lot of thought and procrastination, I retained the Roll Pins, but also added a Grub Screw, with a Nyloc Lock Nut at 900 to the Roll Pins to take that last bit of movement out of it. I went this was as I was concerned that fitting a screw through the hole wasn't going to be tight in the holes. It looks like you guys ignored the original hole and fitted a Screw in a different part of the shaft ?    I did consider dimpling the shafts for a Grub Screw to nestle in to, but felt that the Roll Pin would be a stronger arrangement.

I've also tended to keep my Roll Pins and the Original type Collar in good tight order, so going to the Uni-joint, I've notice only a small difference, however I think in time, I won't need to touch it, where as with the original set up, I would be routinely replacing Pins about every 10 000 km and the Collar about every 20 000 km.

#24 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

That's interesting Chris, you were all for getting rid of the roll pins earlier in this thread, albeit a few years ago now...  Post up some pics then cobber!

I've got 18,000 miles on the 'no leak' selector project now, it is indeed still no-leak :-)

#25 austinseven

austinseven

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

Hi just been reading this thread, when I was an apprentice we used to knock in 2 seals to try and stop leaks  O_O but your looks really good and modern and it works, you should think about getting a patent on it  :D  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users