#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

In my opinion the standard later Y stamped ones used in the A plus engines are high tensile and are absolutely fine for most other than extremely high compression / high output engines. Most head gasket failures aren't anything to do with the bolts.

Edited by slidehammer, 06 August 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#3 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Best and cheapest are two different things.
I've never had issues with the standard studs, although I tend to replace them with every build.

We sell them at somerford mini for a fair price

#4 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

I don't like the stock studs. Those sold by minispares in there uprated kits are much better and a good price too.

Ac

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,054 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

That's what I use.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,993 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

The last of the factory original head studs, identified by the tapered ends, and their matching nuts (with the built in washers) are very good, but seem to be NLA now. There's a lot of rubbish replacements getting about, but these are not a genuine item and best avoided.

Mini Spares have a set:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

which are good and for most work, a very suitable alternative to ARP.

#7 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

The last of the factory original head studs, identified by the tapered ends, and their matching nuts (with the built in washers) are very good, but seem to be NLA now. There's a lot of rubbish replacements getting about, but these are not a genuine item and best avoided.

Mini Spares have a set:

I'm surprised at what they're recommending for the torque setting, 65lbs using lube, 55lbs without. I've always used 45lbs. What's your thoughts?

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

Mini Spares have a set:

I'm surprised at what they're recommending for the torque setting, 65lbs using lube, 55lbs without. I've always used 45lbs. What's your thoughts?

While the studs & nuts are likely to be able to take 65 ft / lb, the deck on the blocks doesn't like it. On these, I take them up to 50 ft /lb, same as the last of the factory fasteners.

Just one point, which I'll try to put across in words here, is that with any fastener that must clamp up 'tight' it does have to be stretched by tightening it up, to the upper ends of the material's elastic range for it to work correctly in the application. If it's not and it's a dynamic situation, the 'dynamics' can cause the fastener to further stretch, well within it's limits, but allow for (say in this case) a gasket failure. There's a pretty good explanation in the ARP Catalogue, definitely recommended reading.

#9 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

Mini Spares have a set:

While the studs & nuts are likely to be able to take 65 ft / lb, the deck on the blocks doesn't like it. On these, I take them up to 50 ft /lb, same as the last of the factory fasteners.

Just one point, which I'll try to put across in words here, is that with any fastener that must clamp up 'tight' it does have to be stretched by tightening it up, to the upper ends of the material's elastic range for it to work correctly in the application. If it's not and it's a dynamic situation, the 'dynamics' can cause the fastener to further stretch, well within it's limits, but allow for (say in this case) a gasket failure. There's a pretty good explanation in the ARP Catalogue, definitely recommended reading.
I've drilled and tapped my block for the extra two studs to the same diameter as the rest, I notice the original 11 stud blocks where the two extra smaller diameter ones have a torque setting significantly less and I understand why.

Is there sufficient meat in the block when they have been fitted later to tighten up studs 10 and 11 to the same setting as the other 9?

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,990 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

the two extra, is actually wrong it was one extra stud and a bolt.

the stud is torqued the same but the smaller bolt is less. this is due to the lack of material in the block in that area.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,993 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, that 11th one, be it a bolt (which was 5/16" originally) or stud - the deck is pretty thin there - 25 ft / lb MAX.

Just as a side note, if the blocks aren't already drilled for the extra 2, I don't drill them at all. I think / feel it not only doesn't help, but actually makes matters worse. Just my thoughts on them.

#12 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, that 11th one, be it a bolt (which was 5/16" originally) or stud - the deck is pretty thin there - 25 ft / lb MAX.

Just as a side note, if the blocks aren't already drilled for the extra 2, I don't drill them at all. I think / feel it not only doesn't help, but actually makes matters worse. Just my thoughts on them.

Too late, it's drilled and tapped now for two studs the same size as the others, so are you saying keep those two to 25lbs?

#13 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

The one by the thermostat housing should only be torqued to 25ft/lb,the extra stud at the other end can be torqued as normal.

Phil.

#14 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

The one by the thermostat housing should only be torqued to 25ft/lb,the extra stud at the other end can be torqued as normal.

Phil.

Ok thanks, that's what it'll get.

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,990 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

i was going to ask you guys that might know the blocks that were originally 11 "stud" did they have more material under the stud or was there no difference?

was there a difference there A to A+?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users