• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

This is very overdue an update so:

QnXksKQ.jpg

the micra got gutted,

TPGfXoI.jpg

the engine came out, and then the micra went to the scrapyard.

I toyed with making my own subframe, but I realised I just didn't have the time, so went down the allspeed route:

dRia2G6.jpg

Now, this may well be my car, but while I could get the passengers side floor mounts lined up and bolted on without too much difficulty, the drivers side was quite far off, though I do remember that after I replaced the floorpans I did have to drill new mounting holes for the standard subframe, so they may have just been out. Either way I think I'll have to drill some new holes to get it properly secure.

Engine went in without too much grief:

1YFHhHU.jpg

started with the inlet manifold, original cut down and welded to a new plate:

HZv8MKd.jpg

then a 3D printed plenum chamber on top of that, with the throttle body bolted on. (in my excitement I may have forgotten to take any pictures of the inside of the inlet, with the trumpets etc. It'll have to come off again soon anyway, so I'll do it then.) 

PKnvGap.jpg

The engine bay as it stands now with the mini rad mounted:

IKQdwio.jpg

Next on my list is the clutch, for which I plan on using the micra cable, and an unmodified mini pedal, with a bell crank lever to move from a push to a pull motion. 

However, I seem to have misplaced my clutch bracket (the one near the lever that bolts to the engine/box) don't suppose any fellow micra-mini people have one they would sell me?

Thanks for reading!

#18 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

Looking good.
More info on your plenum please!
Will 3d print be strong enough or are you fibreglassing it?
Also your inlet runners look pretty short which will be great for flat out but not much torque.

#19 tomgale

tomgale

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

so it's made from carbon fibre filled nylon, which is pretty strong stuff, especially with the thickness that it is.  The runners are super short, not out of choice but because of the limited space (although I have had to space the TB up by 18mm or so to clear the injectors, making it a bit longer), I'll have to see how it goes, I can always print a different design and try it later, beauty of printing!

#20 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

Out of interest what size is the box section that is used to make the alterations to the front subframe?

#21 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:18 PM

so it's made from carbon fibre filled nylon, which is pretty strong stuff, especially with the thickness that it is. The runners are super short, not out of choice but because of the limited space (although I have had to space the TB up by 18mm or so to clear the injectors, making it a bit longer), I'll have to see how it goes, I can always print a different design and try it later, beauty of printing!

I see. You must have a nice 3d printer. I've just refurbished a Prusa printer at work. It can now print 4 different colours or materials as it has 4 filament drives through one extruder.
I was thinking of using it for my next plenum. I am intending to use the printer to make a mock up and then take a mold in fibreglass. Then carbon fibre, using a bladder inside to get a nice finish. Like vacuum bagging in reverse!
There's plenty room in there for a log type plenum. That should give more scope for design. I'm now using Solidworks CAD package which has a flow simulation package in it. Could get interesting!

#22 tomgale

tomgale

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

we have a couple at work, they are far nicer than anything I could afford! I did consider a log style, but I wanted to maintain the original orientation of the throttle body, which limits height a lot, the plan is to have a carb looking air filter on top, trying to keep it as standard as possible! I use solidworks too, big perk of work is access to all the kit! Printing moulds should work really well.

as for the box section, I've no idea as the frame was bought from allspeed

#23 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:34 PM

That plenum is amazing. I hadn't even thought how 3D printing can make things like engine conversions etc so much easier.

Could you 3D design an entire rocker cover? And then print it out in an older style like the Ali metro one for example. Would totally confuse people and look great!

Keep it up!

#24 tomgale

tomgale

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

you could do a rocker cover, but the nylon material starts to soften at around 140 degrees, which might be a struggle with oil, plus for that printer it'd be way too big, what you might be able to do is a lost plastic casting in alu with a printed former, which would look pretty awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users