151 replies to this topic

#76 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

removed my pedal assembly and clutch and brake master cylinders today. I now understand your pain with those split pins. May have been wise to remove the seat mounting brackets before lying upside down in the footwell bent over the crossmember.

gonna be bruised tomorrow.

#77 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:25 PM

I assume it was the one at Round Rock?

yes,  it was in Round Rock.  Quite nice

#78 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

removed my pedal assembly and clutch and brake master cylinders today. I now understand your pain with those split pins. May have been wise to remove the seat mounting brackets before lying upside down in the footwell bent over the crossmember.

gonna be bruised tomorrow.

LOL..  I did that too, but didn't take long before I removed those seat brackets.  The split pins were not terrible on my end.. it was the blasted pivot pin (or whatever you call that pin).   Glad you got yours out 73MK..

#79 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Just finished reading Petrol's screamer thread up to date and noticed you crop up on there 3 years ago Waco. Took you a while to find your project then? I've been on here 2 years watching, had the car but was just psyching myself up to get on with it. Need to get after it again but working solid for next 2 weeks which makes me sad......

I've been dreaming of a restoration for a long time.   While I have read many Mini magazines and forums threads, none of it really sank in until now that I'm dealing with the hands-on.  I'm with you, my work schedule is not Mini friendly this week..  hopefully I can do something.. even if it's small.

#80 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

I've just read your bio, how is the filming going? Is that related to the day job or just another hobby?

#81 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

I've just read your bio, how is the filming going? Is that related to the day job or just another hobby?

I have a side business where we film live events.  I haven't started filming this restoration yet as I didn't care to look like a complete idiot having never worked on a Mini.  The second restoration will hopefully be captured all on film..

#82 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:06 AM

No real time today, but was able to do a quick check fit of rotisserie support beam..  Both front and rear beams seem to be perfect.  Now I just have to mark and drill holes.  While doing this, I realized that the rotisserie arms are likely to restrict proper access.  Therefore I have decided to clean areas around rotisserie beams before installing the Shell.

Attached Files

#83 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:18 AM

Decided to do a more thorough 2nd check fit of the rotisserie support beams.  In doing so, I found an error in my original plan and had to adapt to plan B.  Having never used the rotisserie before, I had to study it making sure I knew how it operated.  I also decided against welding the support beams in favor of making it possible to disassemble everything after use.  Therefore rather than welds, I will attach the support beams via angle iron with Grade 8 bolts.  Lesson learned again that check fits save time, money and hassle.

Attached Files

#84 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Did a bit of research and found some background on mini Mk numbers on minimania

http://www.minimania...fication_1803#9

Not sure if that link will work but as no official end to mkIV model, argument exists over yours being IV or V.
Either way you should have rubber engine mounts to isolate road noise and a similar subframe set up to Pete's.

#85 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:25 AM

Did a bit of research and found some background on mini Mk numbers on minimania

http://www.minimania...fication_1803#9

Not sure if that link will work but as no official end to mkIV model, argument exists over yours being IV or V.
Either way you should have rubber engine mounts to isolate road noise and a similar subframe set up to Pete's.

Thanks 73MK...   I was thinking that mine was an MK3 being an '82.  Am I off on my years?  The other one that I have is definitely newer, but I haven't compared the two yet... 

#86 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Had a little impulse to do something so I grabbed the grinder and wanted to see how well it would work on the rust.  I was doing great until my grinder simply stopped working.  So then I returned focus on my down right stubborn headlight bowl.  I tried an impact screw driver again with zero luck.  So I cut of the extra length of the screw on the inside of the wheel well, then cut the heads off the screws. I only managed to get one screw out.  now I'm left with trying to drill the dang things out.  Darn it all, these bowls have given me grief.  i will have to figure out how to attach the new bowls as I'm hoping I simply use nuts or similar on the inside of the wheel well... At least I managed to do a little something...

Attached Files

#87 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

MkIII finished 76. Beyond that they didn't really distinguish and the shell is constant apart from variations discussed on Mpi and Spi. Yours by date is on the blurred boundary of IV/V and it seems to me semantics as there was no factory fixed date on model numbers. You should have similar sunbird to petrol's car so that should be recognisable but if yours was an export to Europe and then shipped to the US it may have an earlier shell or on typical mini style a mixture of newer and older parts.

#88 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

MkIII finished 76. Beyond that they didn't really distinguish and the shell is constant apart from variations discussed on Mpi and Spi. Yours by date is on the blurred boundary of IV/V and it seems to me semantics as there was no factory fixed date on model numbers. You should have similar sunbird to petrol's car so that should be recognisable but if yours was an export to Europe and then shipped to the US it may have an earlier shell or on typical mini style a mixture of newer and older parts.

Ok..  I should have known this now that I look back at my notes taken a while back.  Thanks 73MK.  All this time I seriously thought I had a MKiii.... thanks for putting me back on track.

#89 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:53 AM

Today was nearly solid devotion to the Mini, although the only thing I accomplished was finishing off the rotisserie attachment.  I spent all day working with cutting, drilling, welding and cleaning steel.  A friend helped me weld, but I was there watching and learning.  Burned up a Cobalt drill bit so I learned my lesson to go slow and use oil to help cool.  Once I started using the oil, I drilled two dozen holes w/o dulling the bit.  I changed plans mid stream on the rotisserie as I decided the support beams should be made for disassembly.  To end my day with plenty of sunlight left, I did a check fit of the newly built support beams and lifted the shell off the dolly.  I will start tomorrow with figuring out how to use the rotisserie and just might flip the shell if/when I get it figured out.  Meanwhile I've researching potential avenues for cleaning/striping the shell.

Attached Files

#90 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

That spit looks the absolute business. I was looking at the images thinking the centre of gravity is way too low to roll that car and then saw you were only part way to using it.

Sounds like a productive day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users