#1 Bookend69

Bookend69

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hi All

I've been a Mini enthusiast since the mid 60's when my older brother owned and raced Coopers (he had on Cooper and 3 or 4 S's, selling his last one in 1979.

My first car was a 1970 Clubman, which I purchased in 1972 and sold in 1974.

I've long had a desire for BL cars and am lucky to own a couple (my Dads P6, which he owned from new and a '72 MGB which I've owned since 1982).

I'm now reaching retirement age and am interested in a project to keep me out of mischief!

A Mini would be perfect for me due to my long association with them and I've got a couple of Mk II 'S' projects in mind.

The first a close friend of mine owns. This is close to being a basket case but is all there and original, with matching numbers. I fear this may be beyond my expertise however.

The second is not known to me and of course I'm concerned it is not a standard Mini, dressed up as an S. I'm going to view it on Monday and will of course get the chassis and engine numbers. This looks like a more interesting project for me as its described as having no rust!! There can't be many of those around that haven't been restored!?! I investigated the Motor Heritage, but don't want to spend £42 on finding out whether its genuine at this stage, so wondered if there is both a quicker and cheaper way of doing an initial search? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm going on holiday at the end of next week and, if all goes to plan,would like to put a deal together before I leave.

I look forward to being a regular contributor to this forum, once I've acquired my project.

Cheers

Martyn

#2 blueovalcraig

blueovalcraig

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hi and welcome to TMF. I look forward to seeing your project when you get it.

Remember, if you become a TMF+ member (£5/year) you can get good discounts with many suppliers. Certainly worth it if you have lots of bits to buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users