#1 MiniMoe2008

MiniMoe2008

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Local Club: None Around Here

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

So I just got my engine rebuilt and I also got a new Aluminum radiator and hoses. What would be a good recommendation for Radiator fluid? I've been using Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/coolant. I never really had an issue and would add a bit to top it off every few months. https://prestone.com...s?detail=AF2000.

I also have a 5 Liter jug of Toyota Long Life Red Coolant http://www.roughtrax...-pre-mixed.html I was thinking about using. Any insight would be great. Thanks everyone.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Personally I'd use the Toyota stuff, as the coolant type needs to be for the alloy radiator

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

As long as it is not the cheap bright green stuff. Toyota pink is good as well as Castrol. The secret though is changing the coolant every 3 years and if mixing a concentrate use good quality soft water. 35% to 40% coolant/water.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Generally I use the orange stuff, changed as needed

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

So I just got my engine rebuilt and I also got a new Aluminum radiator and hoses. What would be a good recommendation for Radiator fluid? I've been using Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/coolant. I never really had an issue and would add a bit to top it off every few months. https://prestone.com...s?detail=AF2000.

I also have a 5 Liter jug of Toyota Long Life Red Coolant http://www.roughtrax...-pre-mixed.html I was thinking about using. Any insight would be great. Thanks everyone.

why do you need to change from the standard "Blue" coolant?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

This was Rover's advice for the MPI, which was factory fitted with an Aluminum (not 'alloy')  Radiator;-

0hxeIUl.jpg

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

mm so what coolant is that then?

interesting should be green

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Antifreeze

but to me there has always been alloy in the system so why anything special due to an alloy rad?

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

but to me there has always been alloy in the system so why anything special due to an alloy rad?

I do have the specific coolant equivalent - somewhere!

Clearly, what I posted up, being an addendum in 1999, some 3 years down the 'Alloy Radiator' - actually aluminum - road, and was right inside the front cover, I'd have a reasonably accurate guess that there were 'issues'.

The Thermostat Housing and Water Pump are 'alloy' and are sacrificial anodes. They behave differently to the Aluminum of a Radiator.

I've mentioned this before and regrettably others turned in to a bun fight, so the thread was pulled (I think). I trust that this will not go the same way.

The Cast Iron used in the MPI blocks and all other car engine blocks that were factory designed to be fitted up with Aluminum Radiators have an added alloy in the Cast Iron to make them compatible with the Aluminum Radiator.

The Metro's when first released, were fitted with Aluminum Radiators, however, about 18 months down that track, after the issues these caused, they went over to Copper / Brass Radiators for this very reason.

The issue as I understand it and have seen is that by electrolysis the aluminum slowly plates the cooling circuit of the cast iron block with aluminum oxide - hardly conducive to transmitting heat.  I have a block here from an engine that ran an Aluminum Radiator, when you look at the cooling circuit, instead of the usually rusty iron or dull grey colour, this one is matt white.

I know loads of people have Aluminum Radiators fitted up and they seemly go fine, at least for a while. Personally, I wouldn't touch one, unless it was with an MPI Block, but even then, I'd think twice.

<EDIT: On this topic, I don't mind discussing it, but I'm not going to debate it. If fitting an Aluminum Radiator is want you'd like to do, then, sure, knock your socks off. >

Edited by Moke Spider, 07 September 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#9 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:45 AM

I've been looking into anti freezes recently and struggled to find definative answers.
After rebuilding my engine last year I reused my old large austin 1300 rad that had had a high performance twin core fitted many years ago.This rad was old but in very good condition and worked well for me, in the previous engine I'd always use blue blucol antifreeze with no problems.
In the new engine I used pink vauxhall anti freeze because I had access to it, after about 6 months the rad started leaking where the gills are soldered to the core. I decided it was just old and replaced it with a standard mini sized radtec alloy one as I couldn't get anyone local to recore the 1300 one.
In the alloy radtec radiator I radiator I used blue Suzuki anti freeze, only because thats what I had free use of this time.
Have since done some research and it looks like most of the pinky/ orange coloured anti freezes will attack the solder in brass radiators so this may have been my problem on my 1300 rad, not age.
Blue appears to be safe in all engines, I can't remember what the advantage of pink was supposed to be but I'd steer clear of it if you've got a brass rad or heater matrix.
Also, different anti freeze types allegedly can congeal if mixed, I've never seen this and couldn't find any real answers on the web.

#10 grizzler73

grizzler73

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:11 AM

I assume this is why there is a lot of plastic in modern radiators? That and cost. This seems a bit of a minefield!

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

This seems a bit of a minefield!

Potentially, can be, but then so are most things.

Some further factory advice regarding the MPI Model  (it's Aluminum Radiator),and Coolants, including those that are called OAT (and no, it's not what you give horses!). Note too the Issuing date.

tPKi47c.jpg

XMrRgUv.jpg

DU1M3WC.jpg

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

I do have the specific coolant equivalent - somewhere!

Clearly, what I posted up, being an addendum in 1999, some 3 years down the 'Alloy Radiator' - actually aluminum - road, and was right inside the front cover, I'd have a reasonably accurate guess that there were 'issues'.

The Thermostat Housing and Water Pump are 'alloy' and are sacrificial anodes. They behave differently to the Aluminum of a Radiator.

I've mentioned this before and regrettably others turned in to a bun fight, so the thread was pulled (I think). I trust that this will not go the same way.

The Cast Iron used in the MPI blocks and all other car engine blocks that were factory designed to be fitted up with Aluminum Radiators have an added alloy in the Cast Iron to make them compatible with the Aluminum Radiator.

The Metro's when first released, were fitted with Aluminum Radiators, however, about 18 months down that track, after the issues these caused, they went over to Copper / Brass Radiators for this very reason.

The issue as I understand it and have seen is that by electrolysis the aluminum slowly plates the cooling circuit of the cast iron block with aluminum oxide - hardly conducive to transmitting heat.  I have a block here from an engine that ran an Aluminum Radiator, when you look at the cooling circuit, instead of the usually rusty iron or dull grey colour, this one is matt white.

I know loads of people have Aluminum Radiators fitted up and they seemly go fine, at least for a while. Personally, I wouldn't touch one, unless it was with an MPI Block, but even then, I'd think twice.

<EDIT: On this topic, I don't mind discussing it, but I'm not going to debate it. If fitting an Aluminum Radiator is want you'd like to do, then, sure, knock your socks off. >

this is a very interesting bit of info and something i think many would not have been aware of. 

i was not.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

This seems a bit of a minefield!

Potentially, can be, but then so are most things.

Some further factory advice regarding the MPI Model  (it's Aluminum Radiator),and Coolants, including those that are called OAT (and no, it's not what you give horses!). Note too the Issuing date.

tPKi47c.jpg

XMrRgUv.jpg

DU1M3WC.jpg

mmmmm A series with MPI rad i will just put whatever i feel ike in it and drain it over winter. interesting fact for Motorsport the UK regs did (dont know it still do) ban Glycol coolant.

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

Ban Glycol ?

What's (or was) their thinking there Nick?

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Ban Glycol ?

What's (or was) their thinking there Nick?

no idea why but we could not use it back when i was actively racing. but you could add a water wetter.

a quick scan of todays regs have no mention of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users