8 replies to this topic

#1 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hey i should be getting my carbon fibre flip front from wobbly bob soon but i would like to do some thing diffrent with it. I have seen it done the opposite way which looks pretty funky but i would like to do some thing different not majourly diffrent but just not seen very offten.

I would like to have my front flip forward on rams but done by the pull of a button inside the car.

Posted Image

Sorry for using this pic but i will remove it if the owner of the car wishes for some reason or another

I thought i could use pistions which you can find holding open a boot to push the flip forward and have some kind of latch that would open to release the front. the front will also be held on with duzt fastners for extra security. i have heard that someone on here did some thing similar on a pick up but not to sure how true it was.

I should get the project going later this week early next week and i will keep you updated.

Any advice, comments good or bad would be grately apreciated, Tomm

Edited by tomm, 25 September 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#2 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

yeah i have a comment,

if you get an internal release bonnet catch from any car including the pulley , wire, and the latch then you could mount the latch on your scuttle and the hook part of the latch that goes on your bonnet normally on your flip fornt and then voila. pull lever , lever opens it up and pistons push it out.

job done

#3 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:10 AM

dont realy understand why,your getting out to release fasteners anyway, why waste time & money on inside lever????? RichM

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

ask Amy how they did her traveler

#5 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

he wont have to get out to do the fasteners if the fastener is the internal release from another car. that will hold it from flipping forward until released by the cable.

#6 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

laying in bed lastnight i realised what i had said with the fastners so ignore that! I will have to have a latch on each side of the suttle otherwise one side will be pulling up whilst the other will be pretty firmly shut down so i will have to have 2 latches right?

Also any advice on what internal relese to use?

#7 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

laying in bed lastnight i realised what i had said with the fastners so ignore that! I will have to have a latch on each side of the suttle otherwise one side will be pulling up whilst the other will be pretty firmly shut down so i will have to have 2 latches right?

Also any advice on what internal relese to use?

Only problem with this i can see is the use of a boot struts. As there made for lifting a heavy weight boot lid you'll stuggle to close the front once open! You could use some from something else like a snap on toolbox! or summit not so strong.

#8 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

get bonnet ones then. like of a rover 820 only smaller. or maybe a metro boot where they are smaller and lightler duty.

if you have a centrally located release mechanism then it could work . or use two on the inner a panels or one on either ends of the scuttle so it sits level. but like your handbrake split the cable destination so it is one pull. maybe cool if you dont use your heater or choke!! , to run the cable through there and have that as the pull and have written on it ejector seat or something funny. ejector front maybe.

#9 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

whey hey someones using pics of my car! i like the idea your going for there, but i think its best doing it with hydraulics (u know like those pimp cars) so you can send it forward and back by the push of a button. the gas struts there are of a 3000gt (from the bonnet) and they were way too strong to try and compress with a feather light fiberglass front. i have actually burst them, as they are only a means of holding the front forward, and they still provide some damping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users