Photo
- - - - -

Purists Or Modifiers

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: What are you? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you when it comes to minis?

1. Purist - they were built that way they should stay looking the same way (7 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

2. Purist+ - they were built to look like minis but I like nicer seats / alloys (37 votes [42.53%])

Percentage of vote: 42.53%

3. Modifier - they were built for change of engine (3 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

4. Modifier+ - they were built to be 100% personalised (34 votes [39.08%])

Percentage of vote: 39.08%

5. Other please specify (6 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

I build cars for myself not for others, I can normally appreciate the effort that goes into any build, but bog standard cars bore me silly

Nice period modifications can really improve most classic cars. However, I can't say that a true bog standard classic should bore anyone if they are a true classic car enthusiast. A standard Mini is always fun and will give a real 1960's retro drive in the same way as a Cortina or other car of that era will.

Personally I can't see much of a future in spending a lot of money actually de-valuing a classic car by fitting non-period stuff, but if one can afford it then I guess that's fine. If I want a fast car I don't want a classic Mini, I want something really quick which will only cost me what a classic Mini will cost (or even less).

A classic Mini is just that, an old, relatively slow but truly iconic and retro car which period modifications will probably enhance even more. I know the big values are in the early Cooper 'S' models, but the truly iconic Mini is arguably the early 850, which is where it all started. They just look so right and so 'clean'.

Personally, Ive got a thing for completely standard, unmolested (except for swapping front drums for 7.5 discs and a stage 1 tuning kit) mk3 1000s. Theres something about their about their basic-ness and uncomplicated looks and nature that appeals to me. And in my experience of driving a standard mk4 1000 (except for 1275 engine), I get more people looking at my car, asking about my car, giving massive compliments about my car, than I did when I used to drive, 90s Coopers, 90s heavily modded (boy racered) 1000s/1275s. People just seem to appreciate a proper Classic and I have much more fun driving it.

#32 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:05 AM

Benny himself wasnt actually for sale when I bought him, but I convinced his owner I had the right intentions for the car, otherwise he would have frankly not sold him.

Same show (L2B) as mentioned earlier, a turquoise blue mini showed up in adjacent to me and we had a long conversation about classic minis as I was hugely impressed by his car. He was restoring it back to its former glory.

Was I and many others impressed by the highly modified and boy racer looks of the modified minis? Well I wasnt
I was at a mini show to see classic minis, not minis trying to be something else. And I noticed the crowd gatherers were the classics left unmolested!

There was a photo on one of the Facebook mini pages recently that had the modified squad practically wetting themselves!
It was a classic mini SO modified inside and out it looked almost like a beemer! I mean why do that?! Why not just GET a beemer? Cost after doing something like that cannot be argued either

The left alone ( but well maintained) minis will live to see another day, year, decade. IMHO though the modified versions will end up on the scrappy

Edited

Edited by Laurie, 28 September 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#33 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,046 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

What will happen is subsequent owners of much out-of-period modified cars will have bought them very cheaply and spend what they saved in putting them bach 'in period'.
I have to say that nicely done period modifications can really enhance a classic car.

Edited by Cooperman, 28 September 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#34 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Benny himself wasnt actually for sale when I bought him, but I convinced his owner I had the right intentions for the car, otherwise he would have frankly not sold him.

Same show (L2B) as mentioned earlier, a turquoise blue mini showed up in adjacent to me and we had a long conversation about classic minis as I was hugely impressed by his car. He was restoring it back to its former glory.

Was I and many others impressed by the highly modified and boy racer looks of the modified minis? Well I wasnt
I was at a mini show to see classic minis, not minis trying to be something else. And I noticed the crowd gatherers were the classics left unmolested!

There was a photo on one of the Facebook mini pages recently that had the modified squad practically wetting themselves!
It was a classic mini SO modified inside and out it looked almost like a beemer! I mean why do that?! Why not just GET a beemer? Cost after doing something like that cannot be argued either

The left alone ( but well maintained) minis will live to see another day, year, decade. IMHO though the modified versions will end up on the scrappy

Edited

I have a highly modded hillclimb car so hard for me to talk but i love to see very original minis as they are such a rare sight these days, especially mk3s.  Many have had bigger engines, after market interiors, 13s etc, which we all day in the past when there were so many minis on the road.  The aim then was to make your car different, i guess now standard is rare and different.

#35 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Quite often my totally stock 95 Mayfair is the most individual looking mini at a mini show these days! Lol.

#36 Simples

Simples

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Like I said, each to there own, I can appreciate the effort that goes into them but I'd rather look round a car that's had some unique engineering gone in to it than a bone stock example

#37 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

You won't find much unique engineering modification on an old classic car.
Virtually everything to improve the old car was done many years ago, which is why they are called 'period mods'.

#38 brownspeed

brownspeed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

when we took on our project- I asked my lad (20 y.o. at the time) whether we return the car back to original (its an RSP) or keep it in its molested state. He opted for retaining the big wheels etc. My preference would have been to reverse it all- albeit purely for financial gain in the future.

#39 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

when we took on our project- I asked my lad (20 y.o. at the time) whether we return the car back to original (its an RSP) or keep it in its molested state. He opted for retaining the big wheels etc. My preference would have been to reverse it all- albeit purely for financial gain in the future.

Biggest wheels Id EVER go for would be 12x5.5s.

#40 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,046 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

An original RSP, or one which is very lightly 'improved' is going to be worth a lot of money soon.

#41 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

I say, keep rare models as truly original as possible in perpetuity.

Everything else, my personal preference is for "invisible" mods like certain engine conversions, hub bearing upgrades (if possible), brake upgrades, but no visible disfigurement like non-standard arches (preferably no arches at all) or wheels, no deseaming, no degraded handling, again usually due to absurd wheels or geometry, no coil springs, and no rear/mid engines. It should still handle like a Mini, but may go faster, use less fuel, and need less servicing. Stuff like automatic suspension lubrication would be fine if not too conspicuous.

But I don't mind the occasional shorty or 6 wheeler, or even an 8 wheeler if someone cares to do that, as long as it still looks exactly like a shorter or longer Mini. The "shorting brake" that we once saw here is also fine as it retained the basic Mini shape, preferably roundnose rather than Clubman.

And no flip fronts, non-steel panels, removed rear bulkheads or other structural abominations, or visible roll cages whatsoever!

I don't mind any decent interior mods, seats, carpets, dash etc, and a revised electrical system and brighter headlights.

So I am neither purist (except where rare models are concerned) or out and out modifier. But that is only my personal opinion, others (except those who violate environmental or safety considerations etc) are not necessarily wrong, and no-one at all can ever be completely right in matters of personal taste. I expect that we shall see continued diversity.

#42 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Most original RSPs go for £8k upwards. On eBay they can be advertised anywhere from £10k to £20k.

Edited by greenmini1275, 30 September 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#43 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

But at what point are the run of the mill cars the rare models? The seventies cars are looking more appealing than ever now especially in basic standard trim and a typical colour like brown or orange, the prices for those are on the rise and I think in another ten years that will move onto things like late 80s cars like the designer and red hot etc.

#44 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

But at what point are the run of the mill cars the rare models? The seventies cars are looking more appealing than ever now especially in basic standard trim and a typical colour like brown or orange, the prices for those are on the rise and I think in another ten years that will move onto things like late 80s cars like the designer and red hot etc.

That is the point. And with the amount of cars that are left, it would be nice if there were some original examples.

#45 brownspeed

brownspeed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

An original RSP, or one which is very lightly 'improved' is going to be worth a lot of money soon.

I have no doubt they will, and I kinda saw this coming a few years ago when we embarked on the resto. BUT! at the end of the day it's not my car; its the boys;- and he decided not to revert to original spec. at least I'll be able to say "I told you so" and like all of that age- he'll never admit that he was ever wrong :bah:

I can't say whether it would be described as lightly improved or slightly improved.

retrofitting an interior, the correct arches and wheels and it'd be pretty much back to standard.

he's contemplating selling it on next year so I guess we'll find out the true value then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users