8 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

I'm planning on cutting out and replacing the whole of my rotten drivers door step finishing just short of were the rear quarter starts (providing the weathers decent) as I don’t see much point in patching ever 3 to 4 inches over were the rust/holes are after cutting out the rust first of course.

Only I’m not sure weather I will need to brace the door opening or not, as the only bit of rot I can find on the inner sill is a small hole the size of a 2p coin and the outer sill is only a few months old, so I pretty much sound.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't rally want to screw it up and have one side longer than the other etc.

Cheers,

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

tack a brace in place to be on the safe side.

Better safe than sorry

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

Looks like I will be raiding my scrap pile behind the shed (so mum can’t see it and go nuts), without sounding stupid what would be most suitable to use, is it just the beefier the better?

#4 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:06 PM

inch by inch squre i think.

look on Guesswork page and pics of petal i think he used something like that

#5 Dave 1293

Dave 1293

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:06 PM

not really, just use something to limit the amount of flex when u cut out the door step...

#6 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

http://www.guess-wor...om/minis/petal/

#7 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

Thanks, although I think I remember reading that guesswork used a piece of wood instead or metal tubing to brace it, not too sure on that my self with all the sparks from grinding and welding flying around.

The quick amongst you will notice that a Flip Front is on the adgenda, and also some serious panel replacement because of rot... A home made jig (bit of wood ) to hold the hinge panel in place while trying to rebuild the door step and floor, fortunately the other side was not as bad ( didn't have to replace the doorstep !! )

Posted Image

Edited by 1984mini25, 27 September 2006 - 10:30 PM.

#8 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

we did this same repair to dave1293's car!! tho there was less metal in the car when we started :S:S:S there was no inner/outer sill or front floorpan, a-post or arch so we braced everywhere!! door gap front to back, one from the crossmember to the 1 across the doorgap and up to the top of the door and finally one going across the 2 b-posts!!

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:26 AM

If the sill and the inner sill are sound there is no need to brace , as you see in the pics put up you do need to brace it if there is no streanth left in the shell , say if you remove the sill .innersill and the floorpan !
BUT make sure you dont jack the car up , I can not stress this enuf , if you jack it up and then weld the sills ,inner sills or doorstep you WILL get disstorsion .
the safe way to do it is to drive your mini forwards onto a ramp (only on the side you are doing)
then jack the car at the rear and put the other ramp under the rear wheel (facing as if you reversed it up )
the mini can not roll off and it is suported corectly .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users