Photo
- - - - -

Mpi Sport Pack V's Basic Mpi Cooper (12 Inch Wheels)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 paulg027

paulg027

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local Club: Tamar Historic Transport Club

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

I have a '97 Ferring Cooper S Touring without Sportpack and sporting 12" wheels.  I've owned it for nearly a year, but I discovered recently that when it left JCG as new it was a Sportspack version.  The changes were made when it was restored in 2013 by the previous owner.  I was seriously considering returning it to a Sportpack version with the super-flared arches and 13' wheels in order to return it to as close to the original spec as possible.

After reading this thread, it seems that I would be completely crazy to spend huge amounts of cash buying new Rover Sportspack wheels and paying a body shop to dress the wings in order to install the fancy new arches and respray the panels, combined with reducing the car's handling performance, acceleration and top speed, and putting excessive wear on bearings etc.  This thread has made up my mind to stick and not twist.

Edited by paulg027, 05 November 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#32 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

I have a '97 Ferring Cooper S Touring without Sportpack and sporting 12" wheels.  I've owned it for nearly a year, but I discovered recently that when it left JCG as new it was a Sportspack version.  The changes were made when it was restored in 2013 by the previous owner.  I was seriously considering returning it to a Sportpack version with the super-flared arches and 13' wheels in order to return it to as close to the original spec as possible.

After reading this thread, it seems that I would be completely crazy to spend huge amounts of cash buying new Rover Sportspack wheels and paying a body shop to dress the wings in order to install the fancy new arches and respray the panels, combined with reducing the car's handling performance, acceleration and top speed, and putting excessive wear on bearings etc.  This thread had made up my mind to stick and not twist.

Got any pics?

#33 paulg027

paulg027

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local Club: Tamar Historic Transport Club

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

So, my Mini Cooper is the BRG one on the right.  On the left is an identical Ferring Cooper S Touring with Sportspack.  It's good to compare the Sportspack against the standard version.  In my opinion, although the Sportspack has a lot of appeal, I prefer the more classic look.  It also clearly has distinct performance advantages and I'm going to definitely stick with this version and save some cash!

Attached Files

Edited by paulg027, 05 November 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#34 Austifiniho

Austifiniho

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:25 AM

I’ve driven both an MPi Sportspack and a regular Cooper MPi and I must disagree with your opinion about wet performance.

Maybe because I drove the 12” MPi in the rain in Poland and they might have some different tarmac to the UK but I almost binned it in my brothers non-Sportspack mini. I feel a lot more grip in the Sportspack and think it takes a lot more to unsettle the car, just had a smattering of ice recently around me and it’s just starting to get some unwanted lightness on lift off, however in the rain it’s quite forgiving.

Both cars have the same Yokohama tyres on too

#35 minibitsuk

minibitsuk

Passed Test

• Traders
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Local Club: Friends with Minibits

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

One of my customers has a s touring identical to that. And that’s always been on 12’s

I’m in the 10’ Wheel no arches club

#36 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

IMHO your car looks much better on its 12" wheels, Paul.

Maybe it's me, but those Sportspack look like an afterthought and they actually make the car look dated.

But then, I always like Minis with no wheel-arch extensions and with 4.5" wheels and 165 section tyres. My Grandson restored a 1997 Cooper MPI and did not fit the arch extensions. With a Mk.1 front grill it looked fantastic. The 165 section is the absolute widest tyre for good road-holding and accurate handling. A 175 simply puts too much rubber area on the road for the weight of the car.

#37 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:21 PM

IMHO your car looks much better on its 12" wheels, Paul.

Maybe it's me, but those Sportspack look like an afterthought and they actually make the car look dated.

But then, I always like Minis with no wheel-arch extensions and with 4.5" wheels and 165 section tyres. My Grandson restored a 1997 Cooper MPI and did not fit the arch extensions. With a Mk.1 front grill it looked fantastic. The 165 section is the absolute widest tyre for good road-holding and accurate handling. A 175 simply puts too much rubber area on the road for the weight of the car.

Each to their own Peter , I prefer the sportspack over the standard mini all day long.

#38 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

My 97 MPI Sportspack came with 13x7's when I bought it and I drive it every day and she doesn't have an easy life, I've just replaced another set of ball joints and wheel bearings within a year!

HOWEVER!!! ... I swapped to 10x6 Minilites a couple of weekends ago and I have to say they have COMPLETELY transformed near enough every driving characteristic of the car! It picks up better, handles better, revs better, corners better, it just does everything BETTER! I am amazed at how much of a difference they made. Plus, interesting side note, Yoko A032's aren't a bad winter tyre!? Go figure!?

Having only ever driven Mini's on 13's ( Not out of choice they've always been on the car when I've bought them ) I will never change back!

I was worried about them no filling the arches because I didn't want to get rid of my Sportpacks but they fit perfectly! No spacers or anything! Super happy!

Sorry! Completely unrelated to 12's I know but just a suggestion if you're changing wheels.

#39 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

My 97 MPI Sportspack came with 13x7's when I bought it and I drive it every day and she doesn't have an easy life, I've just replaced another set of ball joints and wheel bearings within a year!

That's incredibly quick, it would suggest either inferior parts or incorrect fitting, or both!!  

#40 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

That's incredibly quick, it would suggest either inferior parts or incorrect fitting, or both!!  

I thought that too ... even with daily / hard use + sh#tty UK roads. I didn't fit them last time I bought complete hub assemblies from Minisport ...

Interestingly, when I took it all apart the other week one of the little pads that go under the ball joint pin had cracked in to 3 pieces!!! ... Not good!

#41 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

Probably spells why they failed. Last set of those hubs i fitted to a mate's car the ball joint wasn't even torqued up correctly!

#42 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

I thought that too ... even with daily / hard use + sh#tty UK roads. I didn't fit them last time I bought complete hub assemblies from Minisport ...

Interestingly, when I took it all apart the other week one of the little pads that go under the ball joint pin had cracked in to 3 pieces!!! ... Not good!

You should report that to Minisport.......if it was Minispares they would look into the manufacture and quality of the failed parts and report back.

#43 Jarvey

Jarvey

On The Road

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Yeah probably should ... I thought something didn't feel right whilst cornering!!!

I went with Minispares ball joints this time! Haha.

Might treat myself at Chrimbles to some fancy shiny ally hubs with sealed joints and not have to worry about shimming the stoopid things again!

Attached Files

Edited by Jarvey, 07 December 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#44 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

Can any one tell me how sport pack arches are attached to the wing and can standard arches cover any holes if sport packs are removed?

#45 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

Can any one tell me how sport pack arches are attached to the wing and can standard arches cover any holes if sport packs are removed?

The front wings will have been trimmed for more wheel clearance when fitting the Sportspack arches, the only way you can go to standard arches is to replace the front wings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users