spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: HMC

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

Hi All,

I'm about to fit a new 4 1/2" sill to the nearside of my Mini but have noticed a lot of rot at the edge of the floor at the rear up to the crossmember under the seat. If I was to make a plate to repair it should the patch be put on the inside or the outside and should it be welded from above or below? Perhaps a butt joint might be best. I must say that my upside down welding is not too good :'(

Any pointers would be appreciated,

spud.

#2 timothy

timothy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

I would say put the plate from the underside, and then treat the rust on the inside with some redoxide, and tidy it up with some filler. If you were to go from the inside then surely there would be a high chance of the rot getting worse to the point where it rots outside the plate. Also i'd weld from below. Hope this helps buddy.

#3 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Dude -that makes sense.

I'm concerned that if my welding is a bit 'blobby' it could fail the MoT - any pointers on welding upside down?

Cheers,

spud.

#4 sqweaka

sqweaka

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

I'm concerned that if my welding is a bit 'blobby' it could fail the MoT - any pointers on welding upside down?

Cheers,

spud.

what kind/size welder do u have

#5 timothy

timothy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

Practice really, try and make sure your arms at a comfortable angle, also if you carefully run some black gutter mastik over the weld before you spray it it helps tidy it up, but make sure it's a strong continuous weld before hand

Edited by timothy, 28 September 2006 - 06:44 PM.

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Cheers,

spud.

You can always grind the weld down a bit so it's less noticeable, but I wouldn't grind it all the way back so it was flush as it could weaken it.

As for welding upside down, then turn car over onto its side, ok so you probably can’t do that if it's all together and not just a shell.

#7 the_soon_to_be

the_soon_to_be

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

wear heavy duty overalls, and use a C**p mask...

i got a big plob of molten metal on my £300 mask and melted straight through, so had to use my poo one for work

i actually find it easier welding upside down actually

#8 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:17 PM

Welding upside down is not to bad, whatever setting you have for the thin stuff is fine, you just need to turn the wire speed up a touch, to prevent it burning back, as usual you should have the metal as clean as possible

Cheers
David

#9 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

My welder is a Clarke MIG 135 TE turbo. It's actually very good and I have become very good at using it - but not when upside down. I've taken on board your pointers so I'll see how I get on tomorrow!!

By the way, when 'spot ' welding the sills in place, I take it that I drill holes in the lip of the side panel and door step - which I guess is easy because I'd be welding from above. Would it not be possible to drill holes in the inner sill / floor edge and spot weld the bottom edge of the sill in position from inside the car which is also from above? Just thought it might be a stronger job :gimme:

Cheers,

spud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users