#1 daniel_johno

daniel_johno

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:36 PM

I dont want to make the mistake of spending a lot of time cleaning,painting and building up a rear subframe like i did the front only to realise i rebuilt the wrong type.

My mini is a 1970 mk3 and has dry suspension. I built up a single bolt subby to then find out i need a twin bolt type.
Is this the same with the rear? a few eBay shops sell rear subframe bolt kits and one says for 1976 on minis so i thought i'd best check before buying one.

thanks for looking

Dan

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

pre 76 rear subbies had the smaller type bushes on all 4 corners.

the later ones had the bigger top hat style at the front and the smaller 2 piece types at the rear.

I think i am right in saying that anyway

Hope it makes sense

#3 daniel_johno

daniel_johno

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

does this mean i can take the different bushes from the earlier type and put them on a new style subframe or do i need a pre 1976 subby like i did with the front.

Dan

#4 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

i always thought the sub-frames were the same and the difference was just in the mountings.
i think they are all interchangeable.

it's worth noting that the sub-frames were given metal exhaust hangers after 1992 (fuel injection cars)
but again, you can still fit one of these if you grind them off.

i think ??? :gimme:

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:27 PM

Yes the frame is basically the same, it's the trunnions which are different and you can use the old ones on the late frame or use the late ones anyway if you like so long as you use the correct bushes for the trunnions. The late trunnions with the larger bushes will fit an earlier car.

Before cutting off the exhaust hangers, check if you actually need to. They don't always foul the exhaust and I wish I'd kept mine as when I came to fit a new exhaust I could have used them. I think it's a much beter way to mount the rear box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users