#1 timothy

timothy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hey,

My mini is not in best health, it started off with a rotational rubbing noise like the tyre was touching the bodywork. But after jacking it up we couldn't see anything wrong with the car. Then once i got onto the motorway a droan started, which was loudest when I down-changed. When I pulled off the motorway, trying to go from second to third it wouldn't go into gear. Once I had pulled over and switched the engine off it went into all of the gears, but once i switched the engine back on it wouldn't go into any of the forward gears, but it did clunk into reverse, and then after that it went into the forward gears. Once I was back on the move there was a couple of clonking noises, and it felt quite notchy when changing gear. I'm thinking it's likely to be the clutch, but I've checked the mechanism and it seems to be working ok, and the fluid levels are fine too. Any ideas of what this could be?

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:40 AM

try cheacking the adjustment...well if its non verto.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:46 AM

Sounds like one of those you need to hear/feel to determine cause, but have you tried getting the car up on axle stands and have the engine running with it in 1st gear, and listen for the noise.... also, press clutch in and does the noise dissapear... things like that.

#4 timothy

timothy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

It's still there with the clutch pressed in. Also just went out to give it a test drive and the indicators aren't working now, the relay has mysteriously stopped working over night! Ah the fun of mini ownership

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

it sounds like possibly a drop gear has satrted to eat its way into the flyheel housing!! maybe not quite that serious but along those lines!! if its not clutch related then id start looking more at gearbox!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users