#1 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

hello folks looking for a wee bit of advice.

I have put the engine in the frame for hopefully the final time and i fitted the chain but the tensioner appears to be on its absolute limit (spring can not compress any further), I know itis a brand new chain and will stretch when used and the tensioner sprocket will push down to keep the tension on the chain as it wears but should it be this tight to start with??? there are 28 links in the chain by the way

72941_CCB_5587_4_D92_8552_8_A029963_A3_A

#2 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hi

I'm not up to speed on these bike conversions - but I do work with chain from time to time

If that chain had an extra link in it , I am sure they would touch below the tensioner when stretched a bit

chains do stretch quite a bit , even the pre-streched ones , I think it will be ok

also remember sprockets wear as well

esp as the chain is under more load than when on a bike (a car is more weight)

the above is just my opinion

ps would be nice to get a cover over it , so it don't plaster everything with chain oil

edit - another possibility is to get a shorter spring with approx the same force on the tensioner -

so it doesn't become spring bound & you can change when the chain is run in a bit

it does look like you have used the full adjustment range on the arm - I can't see how you could do it differently with what was provided

also - I'm sure it is just the pic - but that remote oil filter looks close

I assume you are not having an electric reverse ? or is that fitted another way ?

Edited by sledgehammer, 14 January 2018 - 07:08 PM.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

As above, but would the tensioner arm go the other way up? Can't tell from the photo but may be worth a try.

The spring shouldn't be spring bound surely...

#4 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Hi

I'm not up to speed on these bike conversions - but I do work with chain from time to time

If that chain had an extra link in it , I am sure they would touch below the tensioner when stretched a bit

chains do stretch quite a bit , even the pre-streched ones , I think it will be ok

ps would be nice to get a cover over it , so it don't plaster everything with chain oil

edit - another possibility is to get a shorter spring with approx the same force on the tensioner -

so it doesn't become spring bound & you can change when the chain is run in a bit

it does look like you have used the full adjustment range on the arm - I can't see how you could do it differently with what was provided

I assume you are not having an electric reverse ? or is that fitted another way ?

it is just the pic the clearance between the filter is fine.  I have a 12v actuator which operates the reverse gearbox selector lever for reverse which is fitted to the chain guard (not fitted in photo)

I have owned bikes since i was 18 (mainly the off road variety) so i know a bit about chains, my biggest concern was the fact that when a drive force is applied to the front sprocket the chain will tighten slightly due to the take up and there is no more travel in the spring.

#5 Miniowner123

Miniowner123

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:09 AM

your other option is fitting relevant size spacers to fix the chain tensioner to a set tension much like a bike. Seen this problem mentioned by a couple people with the kit and as I'm doing mine at the mo I've kept that as a option just in case.

What actuator have you used for reverse? I was just going to use the provided cable but actuator sounds a much nicer idea

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

Hi

it is just the pic the clearance between the filter is fine.  I have a 12v actuator which operates the reverse gearbox selector lever for reverse which is fitted to the chain guard (not fitted in photo)
I have owned bikes since i was 18 (mainly the off road variety) so i know a bit about chains, my biggest concern was the fact that when a drive force is applied to the front sprocket the chain will tighten slightly due to the take up and there is no more travel in the spring.
I can't work out from the picture the direction of chain travel but the tensioner should be on the trailing run. When the drive takes up it will stretch the driven side and induce a little more length to the side fitted with the tensioner thus easing the pressure on it.

#7 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

I would think as long as theres a bit of give in the chain at the bottom it should be OK.
I had the tensioner on for quite a few outings during the early stages but after a couple of longer runs I found it kept letting the chain go really slack.
So I just added spacers and washers to fix the tension. When it wears in I will just add another washer. If I ever get it back on the road!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users