22 replies to this topic

#1 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

Ok I have a 91 SPi Cooper and I have just replaced the clutch, HOWEVER, after putting it all together the car does not start, the fuel pump doesn't come on and the car does not even attempt to tick over. The battery is fine I have a Clifford alarm and immobiliser fitted which is acting very strange! I have the same prob as the post below:

http://www.theminifo...p;hl=imobiliser

Any ideas people?

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

have you checked the inertia switch?

have you disabled the cobra alarm/immobiliser altogether

#3 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

Yep pressed the inertia switch and it made a very faint click sound but that made no difference. I have disarmed the alarm system but I believe it has a factory fitted immobiliser although I have no key fobs for this.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

did u take off the flywheel?

#5 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Yep the flywheel came off.

#6 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

if the engine spins over ok you could have upset the crank position sensor!! im assuming you didnt force the flywheel back on 180degrees out!! its possible but very hard to do as the locking plate is offset an shud only go on 1 way!! try removing the sensor and checking it for swarf and i think theres a resistance check you can do on it too!! anyone???

#7 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

The Engine doesn't even tick over! We tried bump starting but to no avail! The ingnition lights come on but when you go to fire the engine nothing happens.

#8 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

ok need to know what happens when u turn the key!!! does the starter engage and spin but engine not start or does lityerally nothing happen?? no click?? no starter spinning?? lights go out on dash???

#9 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

Literally nothing happens, no click and the ignition lights stay on (I think i'll check later)

#10 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

Literally nothing happens, no click and the ignition lights stay on (I think i'll check later)

That to me sounds like the immobiliser has kicked in. I'm assuming you disconected the battery while working on the engine, and usually immobilisers kick back in after the power has been disconected for a certain period of time.

You say that you have dissabled the alarm / immobiliser, is it un-armed or simply disconected? If it's disconected then you will need to reconnect certain wires, if it's un-armed thats fine.
To sort out the factory immobiliser, you will need the EKA code number (on a little card from the factory, usually with the log book, owners manual etc.), this allows the immobiliser to be dissabled by trick with the central locking system (doesn't matter if you dont have that fiited, there is still a work around).
What you need to do is find the correct wires on the ECU for the central locking and short them, or one of them to ground (check a hynes manual for wiring details) briefly a number of times that corresponds to the code numbers with a pause in between, ie: 1 = short 2 = short -short, 3 = short-short-short etc.
It's not mini specific, but it does work on other rover cars fitted with the MEMS ECU.

Failing that you will need to bypass the immobiliser by connecting with wires, everything that the immobiliser has dissabled, so starter solenoid, ignition and possibly fuel pump.

SS

#11 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

on your starter there will be a brown wire with a red tracer on it!! thats the one that kicks the starter into life!! try putting power on that terminal on the starter and see if it kicks over!! if not and your earths are all ok id be doing as mr silicone scum suggested and looking into immobilizer!!

#12 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

sounds good! I'll have a look into your sugestions tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

#13 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

Good luck buddy! ;D

#14 afswift

afswift

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Good luck with this mate,

Mine is the post you refered to at the start. My mini is still not running.

These spi engines seam to be more trouble than anything!! My girlfriend has a 92 carb mini wi very few problems at all!!

#15 JSnowDude

JSnowDude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

OK......Car is still lifeless! I can't find the EKA code number anywhere so trying the code is impossible, I have also tried putting a live from the battery to the starter motor and nothing, does the ignition need to be on when doing this? I noticed something odd the temperature gauge was almost in the red when I reconnected the battery even though the engine was not running.

We'll get there eventually afswift, let's just hope it's sooner rather than later!

P.S. I have recently discovered I hate car electrics!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users