#1 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

hey,

Right i got in from collage today and made a start on taking my engine out on my subframe, i disconected all the hosses and cables fine took off the carb, manifold and the like undid all the bolts that hold the gearlever in place and that and now all i have to do is take off the shocks and undo the two big subframe bolts that are on the bulk head.

But i cannot get these subframe bolts to shift for anything, is there any tricks to getting these bolts off? as i cannot seem to get them so move the slightest inch, i have looked it up in haynes and stuff but had no luck so any advice? and also any advice in general?

Thanks a lot for that, Tomm

#2 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

Long breaker bar and failing that a long section of strong pipe (scaffold pole etc) as well to slide over the breaker bar to give you even more leverage.

#3 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

think i might knock some form of big lever together tommorow, got a few bits of old bar and a knackered rachet. anyone else had this problem?

#4 Grayedout

Grayedout

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:02 PM

Don't trust a ratchet !!!!

You need a fixed breaker bar otherwise you will lose your fingers when the 'weak' ratchet mechansim fails under the pressure !

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:56 PM

use a breaker bar as has been suggested!! tho i have to ask
why are you removing the subframe?? the engine comes out the top of the engine bay relatively simply!! and face it once u've dropped the whole subframe you've probably stil got to get the engine off the subframe anyway!!

#6 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

i was going to drop the engine and subby because i havent got a engine crane and didnt fancy buying a new one, but i just realised (stupidly) that my mums best friends hubby owns a family run tool hire trade, so they will be getting a call soon asking for a discounted price on a engine crane ;D .

anything i should be aware of when taking the engine out on a crane?

Tomm

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Support the engine well and make sure it doesn't swing into your windsrcreen, never seen it happen myself but have sene pictures of someone who has!, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

sometime you have to tilt the engine slightly to get it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users