#1 daniel_johno

daniel_johno

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:16 PM

i have decided i want to fit no arches to my mini and fit the cooper s style inverse hubs or 10 x 4 or 5 minilites and just have a chrome strip running the length of the car.

What i want to know is what suspension parts i need in order for the wheels to fit within the body work and not fail an MOT.

My mini is away getting resprayed just now and i was wanting to have subframes built up for when i get it back so that i can get it built up faster.

i had built up a subframe using 8.4" discs and calipers so will now need to source new brakes to fit under the 10inch wheels but would i need earlier drive shafts? as doesnt the newer disc brake assembly setup sit an inch further out than the the old brake set ups?

Also i take it if i got some 7.5 or 7inch brake set ups i couldnt use the tapered bearings and hubs i have? Id it possible to use my existing hubs etc with alloy 4 pots?
Am i rught in thinking 7inch brake setups are best avoided as they aernt up to much?

Sorry to ramble on but im trying to find out and order everything i am going to need to fit the 10 inch wheels.

Thanks for looking

Daniel

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

**Cough** Search **cough**

Seriously though:

dont use the 7 inch brake setup!!

if you have 8.4's at the moment (which you say you do) then yo will just need 7.5" discs, flanges and calipers and they will go straight on.

OR

Get the alloy 4 pot kit except that not all alloys and possibly some steelies dont fit over them.

#3 dougie_10 :D

dougie_10 :D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:47 AM

Also to add to that if you can afford it get the KAD 4 pot conversion kit. It is the best on the market at the moment. ;D

#4 daniel_johno

daniel_johno

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Local Club: AMOC

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

what i am mainly concerned about is whether or not the wheels will fit under the wings without arches. I know the cooper s came with 3.5 inch and 4.5 inch wide wheels. Do either of these need arches or did the wider wheel just have a diferent offset.

Ive got my eyes on a set of 10 x 4.5 invererve rims and just want to make sure they will fit before i buy them.

Dan

#5 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

well i think they might do with a proper cooper s setup. but it may also depend on the size of tyre used

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

Ignore 7" disks as they are useless, so your aim is, 7.5" cooper disks with either cooper S calipers or alloy 4 pots, modified 8.4's which could be solid or vented with either modified calipers or alloy 4 pots... which ever you choose there will be the wider track issue associated with the disk drive train over the drum.

Getting the wheel under the arch is a little bit of an issue, but can be done..

You will either need Cooper S rims ( not to be confused with Reverse S rims ) which will cost an arm and a leg or finding a decent set of 10's which have a sympathetic offset...

I run my 72 on S disks and 10" superslots, which has been lowered, this induces -ve camber which gets the majority of the wheel in the arch but is still not totally covered. Fitting -ve camber bottom arms will also help getting the tread covered. This is with 165 tyres... with 145's obviously it's easier but your road holding will be severly impacted.

You will also have the issue at the rear, but this can be remedied by using non spacered drums and a spacer to get the wheels in, without looking to odd.

#7 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

If you already have the 8.4 inch setup then id reccommend some kad calipers with your 8.4 inch disks ground down to 7.5.

Id give kad a call to find out if they would be fine for reverse steel rims.

Ive got kad calipers and vented disks ground to 7.9 inchs. they fit fine under genuine 10x4.5 minilites (have a look at my project page)

I think if you use reverse rims that with the disk setup, I think they will need arches as originaly the reverse rims were designed for drum braked minis.

Ad

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

Reverse S rims will not fit under the arch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users