#1 Emma

Emma

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hi There,
I went out to my mini this morning only to find that some ba$%£!d has leaned on my driver side wing mirror, causing it to come away from the car. ;D Screws and everything seems fine. Its just that the black plastic 'arm' has pulled away from the car around the top (, causing it to hang slightly.
Would it just be a case of using bathroom sealant (or something like that) to 'glue' the mirror fully back onto the car?

Attached is a crappy drawing of the problem:

Posted Image

Many Thanks!

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

can you take a photo of it as i'm not sure what bit has come off ;D

#3 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Someone did a similar thing to the wing mirror on my sisters Mini Mayfair, so I completely removed it from the car and glued the broken/cracked plasic back together with superglue.

I left if for a day or so to harden and it was fine again afterwards and you'd never know it got broken either. ;D

#4 Emma

Emma

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

can you take a photo of it as i'm not sure what bit has come off ;D

I should've done that earlier, lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Well the best thing to do is remove the little black cover visible on the other side of your picture (carefully with a screwdriver via the small cut out hole) and then remove the 2 screws that secure the wing mirror to your door.

Then do what I did and clean it up, fit/push it back together (where it's been forced/broken) and use superglue to bond the repair.

Oh and leave it overnight to harden and it should be right as rain then! ;D

Edited by taffy1967, 03 October 2006 - 02:58 PM.

#6 Emma

Emma

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

Then do what I did and clean it up, fit/push it back together (where it's been forced/broken) and use superglue to bond the repair.

Superglue wont react with the paint or anything will it?

#7 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:21 PM

No not if you remove the wing mirror and do the repairs like I explained. And of course so long as you ensure you leave the parts treated to dry for at least 24 hours (longer if you want to be sure).

Then the superglue will have dried/hardened and created a strong bond and won't do any harm whatsoever. Just don't try and glue it with the wing mirror still attached to the door, otherwise you could end up with superglue everywhere including your shiny paintwork or glass.

But like I said that's what I did for my sisters wing mirror and it was fine and dandy once the glue had dried. ;D

Hey hang on a minute Emma, your from the Rhondda too! Well i'm living in Cwmparc now, so are you far away from me? And don't worry i'm 40 next year and not about to turn to car crime or anything, so your perfectly safe and my Mini's garaged anyway at present. :-

#8 Emma

Emma

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

No not if you remove the wing mirror and do the repairs like I explained. And of course so long as you ensure you leave the parts treated to dry for at least 24 hours (longer if you want to be sure).

Then the superglue will have dried/hardened and created a strong bond and won't do any harm whatsoever. Just don't try and glue it with the wing mirror still attached to the door, otherwise you could end up with superglue everywhere including your shiny paintwork or glass.

I'll get my husband to do it. I don't trust myself, lol! I could imagine me getting glue everywhere!

I'm not far from you Taffy. Am living near Tonypandy.

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

Well if hubbie can't help you out, just give me a shout instead Emma! ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users