#1 murtle

murtle

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Local Club: None :(

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

Today my mini decided to go sick:( and i havent really got a clue what it is that is wrong. I was just driving along and was in 3rd doing about 30 and put my foot down and nothing happened it felt like the car was being held back not lettin the engine rev properly. there has been a few problems before but this happend really suddenly ie overnight. The exhaust was blowing for a bit because i couldnt find the leak then eventually bit the bullet took it too a garage and they sealed it up, but it started blowing again at the begining of the week and havent got round to sorting it. also there is black dirt all round the backbox tip and lil black splattering all over the boot and back. It is about due a service but i am kinda worrying this might be more of a problem than just a service. Its a 1275 mini 35 if this helps. HELP

#2 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

I don't think it sounds like that much more of an issue than just a servicing thing, but concentrate the servicing on the carb, the blackness suggests it is running too rich, flooring it would introduce a lot of fuel in a burst and not neccessarily enough air (especially with the lack of pressure due to blowing exhaust) hence loss of power, i assume that it would have picked up speed slowly had you kept the peddle down...?

Just my first thoughts but im no mechanic!

#3 murtle

murtle

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

yeh it did pick up speed eventually, wen i was up to 65 it was happy enough to sit there. she is going in my garage for the winter so gonna give her a really good service and see how it goes, wanted a stage 1 kit fitted but want her running good before i start tinkering

#4 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

To be honest, now would be a good time for the stage 1 kit as a) you need to sort your exhaust anyway (stage 1 would replace), b )if you set it all up and running sweet, then introduce the stage 1 you would have to do it again anyway and c) decent stage 1's come with a new carb needle, requiring you to at least dismantle it somewhat anyway, good time for cleaning, new gaskets etc!

As said before, this assumes that this is the route of your problems...

#5 murtle

murtle

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

well i would be looking at a half stage 1 system as i already have a cat back system and want to keep my cat for mots and the sheer lazyness of not being bothered to change it for the mot. I was looking at minisport who do a kit similar to this and was thinking of gettin them to fit it and set it all up so it runs sweet but am after finding out if there is any other problems before i spend money on stage1 rather than fixing the problem.

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

Also like to point out that it'd pay for you to whip the head off and have a Proper look.

Black stuff spattering could well indicate you are burning oil... so you need to check valve stems eals and piston rings... and hope it's not the rings. Also, carb wise... spluttering is often caused by the float and needle valve sticking. check it out. Decoke the head and lap the valves in while you're there..

check your car is in good enough health to have a stg1 kit bolted on,... if not, the kit will just make the problem more noticeable and you could do your engine some serious harm!

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

Meh, black carp round the exhaust sounds like your running rich. Find a big hill close by to take the mini up a couple of times. Get home and (let them cool down a bit first) take out the plugs and I suspect they'll be black.

If this is the case, when your putting your foot down your just flooding the engine with fuel and it won't want to do anything. In this case, get the car rolling roaded, preferably after you've sorted out the exhaust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users