79 replies to this topic

#46 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

I thought it was only dangerous failures which prevent you from driving away from the test centre and that major failures just mean that you can't continue to drive it if the old mot is still valid.

I'm looking at joining the dark side and buying a BMW mini clubman to be able to tow them if necessary. I need to get a b+e licence first though!

I have a new F54 clubman for every day and you will not need a B+E to tow as the car trailer and a classic mini is under the MAM of 3500Kg 

I have a licence to tow however I went on a weigh bridge and there is plenty of scope for more weight  

Just be careful because I think that they take the plated weights of cars and trailers rather than the actual.

For example you could have a 1500kg car with a 400kg trailer with a 650kg mini which is much less than 3500kg and the trailer and load (mini) are less than the weight of the car (which I believe is also a requirement), however, if the trailer has a plate on it for 2100kg then they will say you are overweight. 

I use a homemade trailer (built around 30 years back) which isn't plated so they can only assess it on its actual load.

#47 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

I thought it was only dangerous failures which prevent you from driving away from the test centre and that major failures just mean that you can't continue to drive it if the old mot is still valid.
I'm looking at joining the dark side and buying a BMW mini clubman to be able to tow them if necessary. I need to get a b+e licence first though!

I have a new F54 clubman for every day and you will not need a B+E to tow as the car trailer and a classic mini is under the MAM of 3500Kg 
I have a licence to tow however I went on a weigh bridge and there is plenty of scope for more weight
the actual weight of the car and trailer will be under 3,500kg, however my understanding of the licencing laws are that without a b+e licence the plated mam's of the trailer and car has to total less than 3500kg (theoretical permitted mass is what licencing is based on rather than actual physical train weight) and the only trailers I can hire around these parts have a mam of roughly 2500kg which means a b+e licence is required.

#48 Norris73

Norris73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

Spoke to the DVLA this morning. Its a lot simpler than we think. From today 40 year old cars are mot exempt. So for example if you have tax till next May and a Mot only till this July (like me), you are MOT exempt and can continue to use car after MOT expiry. The check box on the website when taxing is simply so that when taxing the system will let you proceed to tax the car without a current MOT.

Likewise when at post office the V112 is just so staff at post office can process your tax application without a valid mot. The post office do not need to send this document off etc.

The police systems have been updated so that 40 year plus cars do not show as requiring an MOT/ expired.

Essentially if your car has Tax but a short MOT, no need to re MOT this year simply at re taxing next year tick the box and re tax.

Hope thats cleared things up, its taken a while to get to the answer!

Olie

Edited by Norris73, 21 May 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#49 Norris73

Norris73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

Please delete double post, using phone...

Edited by Norris73, 21 May 2018 - 08:06 AM.

#50 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

Well done Norris that's some good info there for the geriatric mini owners amongst us  :D

The cars not the drivers!  :lol:

Cheers,

Gavin  :proud:

#51 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Spoke to the DVLA this morning. Its a lot simpler than we think. From today 40 year old cars are mot exempt. So for example if you have tax till next May and a Mot only till this July (like me), you are MOT exempt and can continue to use car after MOT expiry. The check box on the website when taxing is simply so that when taxing the system will let you proceed to tax the car without a current MOT.

Likewise when at post office the V112 is just so staff at post office can process your tax application without a valid mot. The post office do not need to send this document off etc.

The police systems have been updated so that 40 year plus cars do not show as requiring an MOT/ expired.

Essentially if your car has Tax but a short MOT, no need to re MOT this year simply at re taxing next year tick the box and re tax.

Olie

Thanks, I had wondered if that might be the case, my tax runs out end of may and mot expires mid june so I'm not getting the mot exempt box on the online renewal service. So l can retax and carry on driving once the current mot expires.

#52 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

As pointed out this is not quite true, you'd need a trailer made to your own requirements to avoid taking the trailer test, it's popular in the horsey world where they get the trailer 'plated' to suit their car knowing they'll only ever need to put one small pony in a horse box and tow it with a fairly small car, the same trailer would be physically strong enough to carry say two large horses in but would then be illegal even if you used a land rover to tow it once the plate is fixed on.

I think one of the trailer companies has made such a trailer aimed at the track day market but its limitations would rule it out for most hire companies.

Edited by CityEPete, 21 May 2018 - 11:52 AM.

#53 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

Olie

yep, same boat as me. cheers

#54 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

I've been looking into this in more detail and you've got this all wrong even with a towing licence.

Your clubman has a maximum towing weight of 1500kg if its 4x4, 1300kg for most of them so for example if your unladen trailer weighed 700kg (typical Brian James small trailer) you could put no more than 600kg on the trailer and even then you'd be seen as dangerous for breaking the 85% rule of thumb.

You'll also need a trailer weighed on the plate as a maximum laden weight of 1300kg but preferably a little bit less which rules out most car trailers.

Doesn't matter if you're within the mam for your own licence if you're over the tow weight for the tow car,even if the actual weight is well within if the trailer is plated at say 1500kg your breaking the law before you even put a car on it.

Edited by CityEPete, 21 May 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#55 One step at a time

One step at a time

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

Does anyone know if this will be a rolling 40 year date.

#56 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

Olie

yep, same boat as me. cheers
This comes up for my reg the tax date is incorrect. Weird!Attached File  20180521_205255_resized.jpg   44.58K   1 downloads

#57 Norris73

Norris73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

As I understand it this is a rolling 40 Year exemption. One thing I will need to try to find out about is for my other mini, a 1979 Clubman Estate which will find itself in May 2019 in the odd situation were it will be Mot Exempt, but a few months too young to be Tax Exempt, as it will have to wait till after January 2020.

Hubba Hubba - The tax status can take up to a week to update if you have only just re taxed.

#58 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

This is quite interesting

https://www.classiclineinsurance.co.uk/mot-exemption-explained/ 

Looks like supercharged A series engines will pass the criteria, but not and engine conversion away from an A series like a red top or vtec type

Edited by HUBBA.HUBBA, 21 May 2018 - 08:26 PM.

#59 villa3

villa3

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex mini club

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

My mot ran out in apr but the tax doesn't runout till july,is the car still legal at the moment?

#60 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

My mot ran out in apr but the tax doesn't runout till july,is the car still legal at the moment?

No, unless you have applied for exemption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users