#16 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

Sounds like there needs to be more communication between owners.

If the demand for quality is there then people need to know and say where to find particular parts of high quality.

#17 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

Sounds like there needs to be more communication between owners.

If the demand for quality is there then people need to know and say where to find particular parts of high quality.

Thats a good point, maybe if we could get a pinned thread on here where people can state the part they have purchased along with a short review it would save people a lot of heartache in the future.

Edited by Aaron3, 22 May 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#18 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Or sellers to avoid , would also be a good idea esp with part numbers / ebay details

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,956 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

Counterfeit Bearings

The first ones are the 13H9513 as used on the A+ Layshafts and A+ Mainshaft 'Nose';-

8zOleMb.jpg

ZNf99s7.jpg

The correct Bearing should have 14 Needle Roller Elements. The counterfeit one here has only 11 and they are shorter.

Next is the CHM141 as used on the Big End of any All Synchro Layshaft;-

AgeIj6s.jpg

021BjqT.jpg

The correct Bearing should have 16 Needle Roller Elements. The counterfeit one here has only 14 and they are shorter.

Beware.

#20 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

quality parts you do research ask about ,,genuine rover are rubbish now as most bits are to old last made in 2000 at the latest, if you can only find cheep crap, buy a few and spares.... its another art you need with ya mini buy British so at least ya can complain mini spares will be doing there best but until they making millions to upgrade die moulds ect it aint going happen over night sure they have a long term plan some where?? but they have other things get make upgrade first like member mini1000withnomoney to run her car get her hand in her pocket noughts going happen ..

Rubber the big one - but can may find its the same another car or cut some out off rubber sheet

electric components all getting old now just get the best you can

steel part uselay ok as steel Is steel unless its stainless then get stainless smithy's bits, minispare, dns

wiring by willson he got that covered - http://www.theminifo...d-new-releases/

interiors go see www.optimise-automotive.com

#21 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Currently doing a light restoration of a 1968 MG that's been in storage most of its life. I'm taking the original MOWOG rubber parts off, cleaning them up and reinstalling them. They're indestructible. Only things that are worn are some of the suspension bushes. Conversely my mini's radius arm rubber boots 12 months old are in shreds. I'm assuming it's still possible to make quality rubber parts - what's the problem? I think the big retailers should lead the way and simply sever links with those manufacturers who are feeding rubbish into the wholesale market. I believe in consumer choice and good value but when it's rubbish and or dangerous there's no excuse to stock these items. It's not just the money but the time taken to put things right. And how often do we take it on the chin rather than kick up a fuss with the retailer?

#22 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

Conversely my mini's radius arm rubber boots 12 months old are in shreds. 

Mine too! I'm annoyed as I binned the Rover originals when I tool my radius arms off to swap the subframe over last summer. I'm convinced the Rover originals would probably still be as good as I took them off where as the replacements are breaking apart!

If anyone could recommend decent ones (the ones I bought were minispares original parts)

HERE -  http://www.minispare...MS.aspx|Back to

It would be really appreciated.

Edited by DeanP, 24 May 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#23 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

thinking it like chrome plating stuff country just wont allow it no more as it highly toxic and the waste can not be used or destroyed or recycled , and moulds cost hundred of thousands to make , then there's getting the right rubber formula another 500k then you tell em its for a 1959 cooper s cv boot and we want 10 per year so call it a million set up free for 10 then profit so say 110k each or not worth doing .. or some find a worn out mould fills it some rubber they have round back and sells em cheep as chips

Oh and rubber got a self life and there no money in it as said ...

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,956 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:53 AM

,,genuine rover are rubbish now as most bits are to old last made in 2000 at the latest,

While the last of the factory replacement parts were made around 2000, BMW asked Unipart to do a 10 year projection for spares and then placed an order for them, however, when these came to warehousing and distribution, Caterpillar won that contract and they in turn set up a separate company - X-parts - to do that.

Just what spares were selected I don't know, I doubt it would have been a full range. Regardless, given that we are now in 2018, you can be sure that just about anything genuine has gone now.

#25 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

,,genuine rover are rubbish now as most bits are to old last made in 2000 at the latest,

While the last of the factory replacement parts were made around 2000, BMW asked Unipart to do a 10 year projection for spares and then placed an order for them, however, when these came to warehousing and distribution, Caterpillar won that contract and they in turn set up a separate company - X-parts - to do that.

Just what spares were selected I don't know, I doubt it would have been a full range. Regardless, given that we are now in 2018, you can be sure that just about anything genuine has gone now.

learn summit new every day!!!!!!!

#26 sansamn

sansamn

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

I just had to replace the bottom radiator hose on my Mini (why couldn’t it have been the top hose that goes – they’re easy to replace!). Only been on the car for about 2 years and where all the jubilee clips were it had perished. I’ve replaced it with a 40+ year old Quinton Hazell hose I had in my parts hoard.

Attached File  Radhose.jpg   26.73K   0 downloads

#27 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Can i remind everyone one here derogatory remarks about nationalities is not needed on this forum.

Offence Towards Groups 

Any racist, sexist, xenophobic, and other remarks towards a minority or specific group of people, will be deleted and the member will be warned or banned. The internet is one world, colour or creed is not an issue here!

We all understand that pattern parts are a big issue in todays modern world but we are a family based forum. We will act upon reports when the need arises so please one and all think carefully before you write.

Thankyou.

#28 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

I spent a lot of wedge on all sorts of genuine Rover Mini parts in the 1990's supplied through Unipart.  Not once did I have an issue with poor quality or incorrectly supplied parts, they were fantastic!  How things change. 

#29 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

I spent a lot of wedge on all sorts of genuine Rover Mini parts in the 1990's supplied through Unipart.  Not once did I have an issue with poor quality or incorrectly supplied parts, they were fantastic!  How things change. 

Yep we all took it for  granted - now they are being made everywhere the quality is shocking

the trade I work in is the same - we used to make hydraulic machinery , idiot managers went to the east (non country / culture specific)

came back with tales of cheap labour & higher profit's (we were making a good profit at the time)

transferred a load  of work abroad , now quality has plummeted & we end up fixing the problems others have created 

one simple bolt problem , will now cost our company £500,,000 , & that is just one problem of many

I have nothing against other country's / cultures  , but a lot of these workers were farmers a few years ago

now they are being exploited for profit working in industry's they don't know / with sub standard parts / materials ,, often far from their family's etc

the annoying thing about my sad little story , is  that the main manager involved in this is retiring with a large pension pot

we will be picking up the pieces in years to come - if we aren't dumped by our parent company 

this is happening in quite a few industrys

#30 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:05 AM

Problem is you can still pay top money & still get carp

& bearings & rubber components are dire at the moment

with a lot of copies flooding the market - even the packaging are good fakes sometimes

I have noticed some QH parts on ebay are fakes - even the box looked good & looked NOS - 

got some track rod ends , that looked NOS with a QH box - they had a 8mm (13mm socket size) nut on them !!!

now every time I look underneath the mini - I'm looking at parts - esp rubber bits

apart from some types of brake fluid , is there anything that will prolong the life of rubber bits ?

just bought Mintex brake pads - because the ones that came with the discs were almost made of wood - instant glazing

wonder what the mintex ones will be like ?

I saturate all the rubber components/gaiters/boots on my Mini with Autoglym rubber care at every service time and that seems to work OK. The Minispares own brand knuckles are still free from perishing 3.5 years and 9000 miles after if fitted them.  I agree though, the rubber quality is shocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users