17 replies to this topic

#16 RaulSims

RaulSims

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

It's a 1275 Block, most likely from a 1275GT from approx 1976 to 1979. 

Hard to tell from just a photo, but does appear to have been bored one or two times.

Of all the 1275 blocks, they are my pick.

What made you said that? That it is from a GT ?

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

Doesn't the 1275GT have a 11 stud cylinder head. Another marker would be the coolant welsh plugs on the clutch side of the block - 1275 has two and the 998 has one.

nope it does not. and using the 10 studs and a bolt as a marker is poor as they can be added at any time to any engine.

I was probably thinking about our South African 1275 GTS which had a 11 stud cylinder head.

I think the early GTS did but I'm not sure on the later ones?

The other one that had 11 studs is the 1300 GT (ADO16).

Good link here https://classicregis...yland-mini-gtsĀ 

on SA GTS, engine was copied from the Cooper S engine - all motors were 11 stud :D

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work now unless we have a log in mate, but I have seen the page to which you referred to and it is well detailed. Your GTS's were much like our (Aust Built) Clubman GT's in spec and build but I think the GTS lasted much longer in production.

With our GT's, they too were initially fitted with Cooper S blocks, with the complete power unit coming Ex-UK, however, when these were NLA, they swapped to the 'mortal' 1275 Blocks and were in gact a very similar spec to the (ADO16) 1300 GT, which had a big valve 12G940 head and 11 studs. These also came complete Ex-UK.

When did they finish building the GTS's and where did the engine blocks come from?  I know you guys made your own 1275 engines, but off hand, I can't recall when they kicked in. They were quite different to all other 1275 blocks as they had the Oil Filter that fitted direct to the front of block in a similar location to the MPI Blocks, but also retained a distributor.

I've never seen a GTS in the flesh, but it was always a model that I would have liked to have had as IMO, they appear to be the best of any Mini model built anywhere.

It's a 1275 Block, most likely from a 1275GT from approx 1976 to 1979. 

Hard to tell from just a photo, but does appear to have been bored one or two times.

Of all the 1275 blocks, they are my pick.

What made you said that? That it is from a GT ?

In that year range, that's the only application that I know of that a Transverse 1275 Engine was fitted to.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 'GT' thing though, as the blocks used in them was the same spec as just about every other 'mortal' 1275 engine, ie, they didn't have any 'go faster' parts fitted to them.

#18 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Yes Moke the SA GTS was built here between 73 and 80 and I must say I prefer the models with the 10 inch wheels. The 12 inch wheel was introduced during 76/77 along with bigger and better braking system.

The engine blocks were manufactured here in Cape Town - easily accessible filter on the front of the block but an oily mess when changing it :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users