#1 floatintoast

floatintoast

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

lots of posts on this, but not sure if mine is the same. here goes, (im sure you guys love answering the same old questions anyway)... :proud:

Im pretty sure my piston rings are broke if not them then my valve seal are really broke but anyway i went to pour some oil in as i seem to do everyday atm and noticed a white substance in the top of my filler cap, also when i unscrew my filler cap after driving there is a hell of a lot of vapour coming out of it. I put two and two together and guessed that its the vapour condensing on the inside of the lid but am unsure why this is happenin. From reading various other posts i think i have an idea but am still unsure.

What you guys think, is it 'minimayonaise'?

si :w00t:

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

sounds like it might be the head gasket gone :'(

#3 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:56 PM

i'd be thinking along the same lines if it was doing long journeys!! if its short ones it could just be some harmless condensation

#4 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

I would take the car for a long drive and get the engine warmed up and the oil up to temp, then while still hot, drain the oil and replace with fresh. Check the old oil for strong petrol smells (piston rings gone) and any signs of water (leave the oil in a container to stand for a few hours and look for any water rising to the surface).

Clean the gunk off the oil cap and clean the breathers out, then drive the car as usual for a week or so, and if no gunk re-appears, then it was prolly just condensation and water vapour absobing into the oil. If you DO see gunk forming, then the head gasket is gone around the water channels, so replace it.

If the gunk is quite thick, then it sounds to me like the gasket is gone.

SS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users