9 replies to this topic

#1 300bhp/ton

300bhp/ton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

Been looking at the re-built gearboxes and there's a big choice of final drive ratio's.

1. What gearbox would be correct? I think the Clubman GT had a close ratio gearbox? Does that mean a replacement from here: http://morspeed.co.u...nigearboxes.htm would have to be the £650 striaght cut version as opposed to the £350 one?

2. What's the difference between straight cut and a regular close ratio?

3. What recommendations do you have for final drive? I'm thinking along the lines of a 1380cc engine, with S4 head and a Kent Supersports 286 cam. Would be running 165/60R12 tyres. I think stock is 3.4 although I can't see that listed on Morspeeds website. Would 3.9 be overkill? Maybe 3.7?

4. Do you recommend a gearbox from Morspeed? Alternatives please.

Sorry for so long a post, but as you can guess I'm a newb at this. :proud:

Edited by 300bhp/ton, 10 October 2006 - 03:01 PM.

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

I think Guessworks is best to answer this one.

#3 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

I think Guessworks is best to answer this one.

i concur.....guessworks is our resident gearbox wizard, have heard nothing but good reports on his gearboxes

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

try this untill guessworks finds you

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

A search should reveal all the answers to your questions! :proud:

#6 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

i have been told a 3.1 or 3.4 is good average between performance and cruising!! 3.7 is less comfortable cruising but bareable tho better accelerating and 3.9 is totally mad!! i've been out in a 4.1 before totally useless on the road!! you could pull away in 3rd without much trouble!!

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

with a good torquey motor, you should not need anything shorter than a 3.4, and with a std or CR helical box you may be better off with a 3.1/3.2.

The difference between the GT close ratio box and a std box is only 1 tooth on the first motion, this effectively moves 1st 2nd and 3rd closer to 4th which remains the same 1:1 ratio... A SCCR set is a whole set of different ratios, where 1st is nearer 2nd on a std box, but again 4th is still 1:1

You have the link to the ratio calculator above, and you'll see the difference the sets make to the estimated speed in each gear.

#8 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

what is this
"Select the speedo drive gear combination Worm/Pinion pins "

Ive got a 1982 mini HL, with a 1991 engine and box

What would mine be?

#9 300bhp/ton

300bhp/ton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

with a good torquey motor, you should not need anything shorter than a 3.4, and with a std or CR helical box you may be better off with a 3.1/3.2.

The difference between the GT close ratio box and a std box is only 1 tooth on the first motion, this effectively moves 1st 2nd and 3rd closer to 4th which remains the same 1:1 ratio... A SCCR set is a whole set of different ratios, where 1st is nearer 2nd on a std box, but again 4th is still 1:1

You have the link to the ratio calculator above, and you'll see the difference the sets make to the estimated speed in each gear.

So in your opinion this one would be fine with the ratio then?

RE-BUILT ROD OR REMOTE 4-SYNCRO 998-1275-SPI-MPI:

One of the best Re-Built gearbox's available, Completely stripped and ALL parts replaced with only top quality HIGH GRADE components.

The gear box case is chemically cleaned back to bare aluminium then prepared for assembley.

The gears are checked and replaced if required. Syncro hubs are stripped and fitted with new stronger springs, The selector forks are checked and replaced if nessercery, Fitted with new up-rated Double, Single and needle bearings, new layShaft, Genuine Baulk-rings and High grade center pick up pipe, The gearbox is then assembled with a re-built differential unit using competition diff pin and Planet gears with a Final drive ratio of your choice.

PRICE £300.00 Exch Additional final drives available, 2.7, 2.9, 3.1,3.2,3.7 & 3.9 Please add £60.00

Cheers.

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

Depends what your after, but I would think a 3.4 would be good for town/motorway, fast road and good acceleration use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users