#1 Apollo32_2000

Apollo32_2000

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Local Club: Welsh Boarders

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

While refitting my 1990 mini cooper the rev counter has packed up, it is part of tof the triple clock layout, all other clocks are working. On the bakc of the rev counter are two wires, the one has 12v on it when engine is at idle this is a bullet type connector female, when i pick the revs up the voltage drops is this normal.

The other doesn't seem to have any voltage on it and am unable trace the wiring through the loom.

In the engine bay the rev counter sensor on the engine block has a 12/13v feed to it.

Is my rev counter broken or have i got an electrical problem.. checked all connections and fuses etc.

Need help.

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:33 PM

the bullet connector should have a white wire with black tracer!! that is the signal from the negi terminal of the coil!!! the other wire should be a light green wire with an orange tracer!! this should be the permanent 12v supply to your rev counter!! should operate on the same circuit as washers/wipers, indicators and heater!! try powering up the rev counter manually with the signal wire connected and see if it jumps into life!!

#3 Apollo32_2000

Apollo32_2000

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

Many thanks will try this tomorrow..

#4 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

Is it an easy job to fit a rev counter to a car that originally has a two clock layout?

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

yes it is. did it on my El Gordo!

you need the right brackets tho. as the standed 2 clocks ones are diffrent to 3 clock ones.

or do you just want to add a stand alone pod rev counter.

#6 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

I want the 3 clock setup i had in my old car but just wondered how to go about wiring it up when there isn't one as standard in this.

#7 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

The only time I had problems with the rev counter on my 1990 Mini Cooper (Mainstream) was because we had to remove the spade connecting it off the 4 fuse box because it kept blowing the fuse (25amp/3rd one down which also controls the heater blower motor, windscreen wipers, washer motor & instruments) when the ignition was turned on.

We later discovered there was an electrical problem because the wiper motor park-switch had failed and was causing a short circuit.

So if your wipers have stopped parking themselves or are a bit dodgy, then replace that park-switch because it causes all kinds of electrical mayhem and the same thing happened on my sisters 92' Mini British Open Classic LE too after her wipers stopped parking themselves. But as that didn't have a rev counter, the fuel gauge went haywire. But once the park-switch was replaced everything worked fine again afterwards! :proud:

I want the 3 clock setup i had in my old car but just wondered how to go about wiring it up when there isn't one as standard in this.

Well if you have the straight ahead (Clubman style) 2 pod clock in your Mini City (should have if it's a post 1985 model?), then the wiring is already present. You just need to get the extra rev counter bit to add on I believe?

Edited by taffy1967, 11 October 2006 - 04:55 PM.

#8 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, thats what i've got.

Thats good to know then, just a little less work for once. i'll have a look at the weekend, see if i can see anything lying around.

#9 Apollo32_2000

Apollo32_2000

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

[b][color=#FF0000] A big thank you to fikus01, my rev counter is now working, i was loosing the 12v supply from the wiper motor.

#10 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

no worris glad to be of help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users