Classic1275cc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: south lincs mini club

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:05 PM

1994 Rover Monte Carlo SPI

Quick background - Issue of no power to fuel pump after a 3rd jump start while shuffling it around through out the day,
Can start the car by taking 12v from the battery to the fuel pump from the battery directly

Have lost power through a popped fuse once before while driving, the once offending fuse this time checks fine on the multi-meter  

Things i have checked, tested, bypassed.. swore at

1. Fuses above Air cleaner 

Attached File  Fuses Behind Airbox.jpg   29.43K   6 downloads

2. Crash stop cut off 

pressed and by passed 

Attached File  Crash Stop.jpg   26.08K   10 downloads

3. Main fuse box 

Attached File  Main Fuse Board.jpg   14.98K   3 downloads

4. used another relay box, although can not confirm that this also may contain a dud fuel pump relay

Attached File  Change of CDI.jpg   28.32K   4 downloads

5. Fuses that sit left and under air box 

Attached File  Left of Air box Under It.jpg   28.33K   9 downloads

6. Fuses under steering column

Attached File  Under Stearing Collum.jpg   17.98K   19 downloads

So completely lost other than the only thing left but i cant check is the fuel pump relay in both my main relay boxes being duds, but find it a bit suspicious giving it has popped a fuel pump fuse of its own accord previously a year ago, and its died this time while i was jump starting it hmmmm. but like i said that fuse (the blade fuse in point 1. which previously popped a while ago and killed power to the fuel pump checks out and also bypassed the fuse carrier (which is a grey/brown wire) 

7. Wiring Diagram 

Attached File  Wiring Diagram.JPG   90.76K   27 downloads

Any advice would be great feel like i have checked all i can / know about 

#2 mpialan

mpialan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:57 PM

Have you checked the continuity of the wires between the plug for the inertia fuel cut-off switch and the pump end?

#3 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:50 PM

I have known  people to trap the wires to the fuel pump when removing and refitting the tank, can you hear the fuel pump relay click, sometimes you can open the box up and see if it moves and if not move it across by hand. If yours has the two button fob the alarm cuts the fuel pump power , the earlier single button ones like mine (also a 94 spi) only cuts the starter motor.

Check all the inline fuses very carefully , they are c**p and cause all sorts of problems, best thing i ever did was replace them with blade fuses.

#4 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

When you take current directly from the battery, put a fuse in between.If this blows out too then it is the fuelpump.

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

Check for ignition power at fuse LF7. I think it will be fine, but check to be sure.

Then on the black relay box plug put your red probe into one of the thick brown wires and check it's live all the time.

Then leave the red probe where it is and put your black probe into the black and purple wire.

You should now get battery voltage on your meter when cranking the engine.

If not check the black purple wire again where it comes out of the ECU.

If nothing here you need to replace or repair the ecu.

I think Sprocket has seen this on another SPI recently...

Cheers  :proud:

#6 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

Should be quite easy to fault find.

Check to see if the pump is getting power, if not, check the relay output, if output ok at relay and not at pump, there is a wiring fault.

Check the coil of the relay is getting power, if not, check the cable from the ECU to relay, check the ECU is giving power to it's output pin.

I think a crank sensor fault can stop the ECU from powering up the relay. 

#7 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

I would start by checking for 12volts at the inertia (crash stop) switch. 

If there is power there than the problem is in the wiring from there to the back of the car. proberbly the connector between front and rear looms.

If there is no power here than its fuse or relay box.

Are you sure the second relay box is SPi and not MPi.Same connectors but not the same inside.

#8 Classic1275cc

Classic1275cc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:23 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to this, very clear tips and I will try these out Tuesday evening after a shorter day at work

Edited by Classic1275cc, 24 September 2018 - 06:24 PM.

#9 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:43 PM

Unplug the main ecu and check contacts are clean .make sure the plug is fully pushed in.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:50 PM

The one I'm looking at we have narrowed down to an ECU fault on the fuel pump relay output. We are just waiting to effect a repair, as we are both busy with more important things at the moment.

If the 10 amp fuse has blown, you're probably looking at a fuel pump fault.

If you ground the Black/Purple wire somehow (at your own risk) on the small connector on the relay pack, the fuel pump relay will energise when you turn the ignition on. if it doesn't, you have a fault on the wiring, connectors, fuse, inertia switch, or the pump its self.

If the fuel pump does run, and the engine starts, runs and the car drives normally, they you're likely looking at an ECU fault, to which I've had first hand experience, and also word from a fellow club member of his experience of the same fault.

Don't leave the black/white wire grounded though, as funny things can occur with back feeds an such.

#11 Classic1275cc

Classic1275cc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

Solved 

unfortunately i'm not sure 100% what i did, but here i was i did before it worked again 

unplugged the relay pack and checked for constant 12v on the two browns 

checked for continuity from the pump switch through to the fuel pump connection 

put my needle plyers into the fuel pump connector and crimped down the spade a bit for a better contact

charged the battery 

... somthing worked anyway! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users