7 replies to this topic

#1 Luapno

Luapno

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

I have just got hold of an old Sykes Pickavant 359K hydraulic flywheel puller set. I know they are easy to use but I was wondering if anyone has a set of original instructions ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Attached File  s-l1600.jpg   102.39K   9 downloads

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

I don't think I have the instructions, I'll look a little later, however, it does appear that your puller may need an overhaul as the Jacking Screw is wound all the way down but the Ram is still quite retracted. They are easy to do, with a couple of O Rings and they are filled with Grease. They are a very good puller. I have an Ozzy copy, a Coxhead, which I've had now for a very long time and wouldn't be without it.

It also appears you have the clutch plate centering tools with it.

#3 Luapno

Luapno

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

I will have a look at getting it apart. It needs a bit of TLC 

#4 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:51 PM

I have a puller which uses the same/similar Sykes Pickavant hydraulic ram. The only instructions provided by SP is a sticker on the ram warning the user to use hand pressure only on the lever and not to use any extensions to increase leverage.

The screw thread on the ram and the puller boss is pretty fine and I keep mine well greased so that the ram moves easily through the boss. It is an excellent puller but I have never removed my flywheel ( very lightweight steel on a steel crank) without several sharp blows with a heavy club hammer on the edge of the boss that 'shocks' the flywheel off the taper. It now looks a bit secondhand but works perfectly well.

Your puller bolts look a bit well worn. Check the threads are good and the bolts straight. It might be worth getting some new ones made up as you do not want them either giving way under tension or damaging the threads in the flywheel. The puller is well worth the investment especially if you are pulling flywheels frequently. I change our race Mini gearing with different primary gears for the type of circuit.

This type of puller doesn't totally remove the stress of removing the flywheel but since I purchased a hydraulic type it has made the job far more routine, less time consuming and reliable. Best of luck with yours.

#5 Luapno

Luapno

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

Only picked it up today so haven't really had a chance to give it a good look over. As Moke Spide said it needs an overhaul and the bolts are not the straightest :( so will have to source some replacements or try and straighten them out. The threads look OK but I will give them a rethread.

Apart from the clutch plate alignment tool, can anyone help with the other bits in the box?

Edited by Luapno, 02 October 2018 - 08:57 PM.

#6 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:06 AM

Make sure you put something under the flywheel to stop it flying on to the floor when it comes off.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

I have one of these, Ill check for the instructions tonight, but Ive not noticed if they were there or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users