31 replies to this topic

#16 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

thanks for the replys i have tryed heating it up and i placed the engine in between to big blocks of wood so it wouldnt move and it still will not budge anymore ideas please also ano this might sound stupid but the pictures that have been posted dont look anything like my flywheel i only have the flywheel on i dont have any of that metal plate or anything is that supposed to be on

and also i have taken the thermastat out of the engine and there is a load of brown stuff looks like sludgey sand a hope that makes sence :lol: can anyone help me with this please

Well mine is a Verto clutch, so it is going to look a bit different from a pre-verto, which should look like this:

Pre-Verto clutch

The Chinese hat looking thing (diaphragm) is going to fasten to the flywheel, and you can see the holes where your flywheel puller bolts go. This is what yours looks like, right?

So you've got the flywheel bolt out. And then you've taken the keyway out:

Keyway

And then you've aligned your crank so that they C-shaped washer holding the primary gear on can't slip down and block flywheel removal (someone else will have to help me out here....what is the crank orientation for the pre-verto setup?)

Primary gear C ring..
Primary gear backing ring

If all that holds true, then it's just down to persistence and the right tools for the job.

thank you for all your replys i appreciate them alot without your help i would be f****d i have had the pressure plate of its the flywheel that i cant get off :(

many thanks will try again in the morning and hopefuuly get it off :P

#17 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Make sure the 3 bolts on your puller are all parallel so it pulls the flywheel evenly :lol:

#18 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Make sure the 3 bolts on your puller are all parallel so it pulls the flywheel evenly :lol:

yes will check again in morning but i did have them all parallel i have tightened it has much as i can get it and it still wont come off i have braid the head of the bold with a hammer and when i seen a mini owner he said i should here a big bang then thats it free but as of yet no big bang lol i have been using a torgue wreng to turn the bold and i phisicaly cant turn it anymore :(

#19 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

Yes - tighten it as much as you can - then tighten it some more. Then a massive great blow on the head of the puller bolt - NOT on the flywheel! Then tighten again etc etc. Just check - you HAVE got the stepped washer out - yes ?

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

An impact wrench is a good tool. If the engine is out can you take it down to friendly garage with air tools and oxy acetylene?

Timing marks near tdc will keep the c washer in place but it's not an issue until the flywheel lets go.

#21 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

this may soubd stupid but what is the stepped washer and yes i have the engine out and i have power tools but its stuck on solid

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

There's a big chunky washer with a raised bit that sits in the groove in the crank end to stop the flywheel from turning on the crank. It needs to come off and be replaced by the little shouldered bush that came with the puller to protect the threads in the crank.

#23 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:35 PM

If the stepped washer - this thing - http://www.minispare.....20LOCATING ... has not been removed - it will never come off.

Edited by bmcecosse, 27 October 2009 - 11:37 PM.

#24 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

If the stepped washer - this thing - http://www.minispare......20LOCATING ... has not been removed - it will never come off.

are lol yer i have took this off aswell but it still wont budge will try and take pics of it tommorow and will post them on here

#25 mwalsh

mwalsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

are lol yer i have took this off aswell but it still wont budge will try and take pics of it tommorow and will post them on here

Pics would be good.

I really think it's time for you to consider a hydraulic puller and some heat. Borrow one, or take the motor down to a garage that has one. You said you tried heat already, what kind of torch did you use? Did you also use some penetrant? It's time to hurl every bit of amunition in your arsenal at this thing.

On the sandy sludge in your cooling system......it sort of sounds like very old and very rusty coolant/water. A good reverse flush of the cooling system would be a good place to head. You might even consider a caustic flushing agent as part of the process, since it sounds so bad.

#26 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

hi there can anyone help me i have snapped one of the clips that olds the distributor cap on can i buy these clips or do i have to buy the hole distributor

manythanks

#27 mwalsh

mwalsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

Bloody hell, Jordan, you're like a walking disaster area! :D

Keep cracking at it mate, you'll get there in the end. But remember.....CAREFULLY!

#28 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

Start a new thread - your more likely to get an answer to your new problem (that is unrelated to the flywheel).

#29 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Bloody hell, Jordan, you're like a walking disaster area! :dontgetit:

Keep cracking at it mate, you'll get there in the end. But remember.....CAREFULLY!

TELL ME ABOUT IT LOL I SPENT £1000 ON THE CAR AND IT STILL NOT ON THE ROAD LOL NEED TO FIND SOMEONE TO WELD ME FLOORS IN NOW HAHA

MANYTHANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS :D

Thought I'd scribble in here to avoid running 2 topics in 1 thread. Drop Lucas an email, [email protected], if it's one of theirs; possibly Aldon too. If you're lucky someone will have one going spare or you'll find a cheapo dizzy on Ebay - Ethel

#30 jordanc712

jordanc712

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

Bloody hell, Jordan, you're like a walking disaster area! :dontgetit:

TELL ME ABOUT IT LOL I SPENT £1000 ON THE CAR AND IT STILL NOT ON THE ROAD LOL NEED TO FIND SOMEONE TO WELD ME FLOORS IN NOW HAHA

MANYTHANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS :D

Thought I'd scribble in here to avoid running 2 topics in 1 thread. Drop Lucas an email, [email protected], if it's one of theirs; possibly Aldon too. If you're lucky someone will have one going spare or you'll find a cheapo dizzy on Ebay - Ethel

many thanks ethel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users