DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:39 PM

Actually, it is the other way round.

The black roof, absorbing more heat than a white one, heats the air passing over it which makes the air less dense.  Therefore the roof of the car has less wind resistance than the body below the gutter line.

#32 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

If you have a black roof you are guaranteed to get bird muck all over it, that ruins the drag coefficient and the top end speed.

#33 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

They certainly were. I had the pleasure of driving a Healey 3000. Awesome car and quite demanding to get the best out of. How they did so well is amazing.

I will vouch for the fact that you had to be strong to drive a 3,000 round tight bends, and fit to take one on a National.

Sir Stirling said that he thought twice about arguing with his sister, when she started driving them.

#34 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:51 PM

If you have a black roof you are guaranteed to get bird muck all over it, that ruins the drag coefficient and the top end speed.

As Owls regurgitate their food pellets, the above would not apply on a night rally.

#35 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

They certainly were. I had the pleasure of driving a Healey 3000. Awesome car and quite demanding to get the best out of. How they did so well is amazing.

I will vouch for the fact that you had to be strong to drive a 3,000 round tight bends, and fit to take one on a National.

Sir Stirling said that he thought twice about arguing with his sister, when she started driving them.

Yes, Pat was absolutely outstanding in a Healey 3000. To win the Liege-Sofia-Liege with Ann was really an amazing result. Only 4 women crews have ever won an International Rally: Pat/Ann, Ewy Rosquevist/?, Rosemary Smith/Val Domleo (Morley) and Michelle Mouton/Fabrizia Pons.

The Healey 3000's had white hard tops because that was how they were painted as standard. They did look good though.

The Healey was difficult to drive and the results it got on events like the Alpine were fantastic. It is a pity BMC did not have a suitable successor. The Datsun 240Z rather took over as the big sports car on rallies. That was also a bit of a handful as well. I had the pleasure of co-driving a 'works' 240Z and with the 2.8 litre engine and around 270 bhp it was wonderful. To get the best, like the big Healey, it required a lot of driving commitment, but the suspension was so good on rough roads. It was hard work in Wales!

Thread drift - err, sorry. Hope it is still interesting though.

Edited by Cooperman, 13 November 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#36 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:56 AM

Ewy Rosqvist/Ursula Wirth, 1962 winner overall in the Argentine saloon car Grand Prix over 4624 km, Mercedes-Benz. Later she married Baron Alexander von Korff of the Mercedes comps dept. to become Ewy Baroness von Korff-Rosqvist.

#37 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

Back on thread - MK3 / 4 do not have anything but single colours - if that what you are asking?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users