Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

I retired 3 years ago
Had great ambitions to improve my Squash game and play in Scottish over 65 masters regional competitions .....
However .... Year 1 .. umbilical hernia operation .. 8 weeks recovery , Year 2 ... triple crucial ligament rupture .... 10 months recovery
Year 3 .. Achilles’ tendon rupture ... 12 weeks recovery only just getting back to playing now.

When I go to the tip I sometimes come back home with more stuff than I took ..... can you believe some people throw out almost new toastie makers !,,

Lol

How frustrating, I feel for you.

This is in part why I decided to at least part retire.

I have been retired for six years exactly, in the time since I have lived in Cyprus for two, relocated to

WestYorkshire, restored two Minis and am two thirds through the through tidying up and re-comisioning

a Mini 30 for a friend. HappyDays.

Well, clearly, you are way too busy for work anyways !!

#17 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

I could retire tommorrow just can't afford to yet....

Will always be busy doing something and I would have more time for motorsport then too

My sister managed it early with a top job and no kids, bought an ex-RAF snowplough and converted it into a motor home, now spends the miserable 3 months of our climate in Mexico and California

#18 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 01:26 AM

Well, I have been retired for 10 years now and I do not miss work but I do miss the people. I am also in the same boat, trying to figure how I had time to work. However, the most unexpected thing is how much I have learned during that time. Particularly, about medical  topics. I have learned about glucose tolerance tests, Hypoglycemia, Neuropathy, Diverticulitis, dental extractions, jaw bone loss, dental implants and  COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) among others that I forget about. Additionally, terms that you associate with a good outcome means the opposite in medical terms. LIke "positive test results" is bad and "the illness is progressing" is very bad. Fortunately, there are things out there that I have not had the need to learn about. So everything is good, I am still learning which is what is important.  :D  

Edited by xrocketengineer, 22 December 2018 - 01:27 AM.

#19 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:23 AM

i will be done at the end of Jan next year, ive been on leave from work since the beginging of Nov, at 1st it was fun not having to go to work in the dark, but then i started to take my kids to school, so i get to sleep in a extra hour every morning, and i go to the store in the morning to get food for the day, and watch some tv and drink coffee, get on the computer and look for another project car and then work out for a little bit, and then work on the mini, wash some dishes, do some work around the house, nothing crazy 

now that i have all the time in the world to work on the mini, my work has slowed down, i take longer to plan the next step of the build, if i dont feel like doing a job, i put it off till i feel like it, and do something else till i do, work has slowed down but im still making progress,

but im starting to get that feeling that i want to go back to work, not sure what im going to do next, but i was thinking of something that i can get good pay but not have to work like im 20 years old again, something simple not to hard

plus i was thinking, the extra pay will help get those super nice mini parts alot faster, lol

Edited by joakwin, 22 December 2018 - 03:24 AM.

#20 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

I'm the 12th eldest son of the eldest son etc:, and we have been on the family farm for about 400 years, so I can tell you with good authority that no matter what else they do, farmers NEVER finally retire.

Even when dead, they push up daisies.

#21 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:57 PM

I'm the 12th eldest son of the eldest son etc:, and we have been on the family farm for about 400 years, so I can tell you with good authority that no matter what else they do, farmers NEVER finally retire.

Even when dead, they push up daisies.

It is interesting that when I started working for NASA in the seventies, several of the people that had worked there during the Apollo days that I worked with/for were from the southern US and they had physics or engineering degrees. But they were farmers and they still had family farms. They had learned a lot of hands on stuff there like working with and repairing farm equipment and they were very good at troubleshooting all that. I was impressed with these guys and I wanted to learn from their technical knowledge and experience, so I peppered them a lot with questions when I got started.  But it was strange, they knew how to raise farm animals but most of them would not eat chicken. O_O     

Edited by xrocketengineer, 22 December 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#22 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

Quit the building trade after one too many "difficult" customers a couple of years ago to concentrate on my roof rack business. This doesn't work me too hard and I can at last consider myself at least "semi retired". I have to pinch myself sometimes to realise that i don't have to get up at stupid 0'clock to go grovel under someone's floor boards or shin up and down long ladders, taking my life in my hands. Finally paying off the mortgage was the deciding factor whether or not I could afford to do this. I now stroll out of my back door into the garage/workshop whenever I feel like it to do a bit of work at my own pace. Bliss!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users