#1 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:25 AM

Hey folks.

Bit of an annoying problem on Sir D at them oment where by any firm braking results in the car shaking...earthquake trembling kinda thing. I haven't had the chance to properly look at the disk brake area, but am sure its the front driver side system. This was not damaged when Sir D hit the Polo, but you can never tell if the wheels been affected form stopping suddenly.

Can anyone shed some light? Brake system is 8.4" MPI caliper.

Thanks.

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

Hey folks.

Bit of an annoying problem on Sir D at them oment where by any firm braking results in the car shaking...earthquake trembling kinda thing. I haven't had the chance to properly look at the disk brake area, but am sure its the front driver side system. This was not damaged when Sir D hit the Polo, but you can never tell if the wheels been affected form stopping suddenly.

Can anyone shed some light? Brake system is 8.4" MPI caliper.

Thanks.

could your discs be warped???? are you sure the pads are fitted securley?

#3 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

hmm will check thing is I've just had the CV joints replaced both sides as the old ones where buggered anyway...nothing was noticed then, so might look into the disk beng warped yeah...

#4 300bhp/ton

300bhp/ton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

Does the brake pedal and steering wheel shake and vibrate? If so this is usually attributed to brake shudder/judder.

Most claim warped discs, but personally I have never actually seen or experienced and true warped disc. What it always turns out to be is uneven carbon build up on the face of the disk. Either that or another problem, such as a suck piston on the caliper.

Also a warped wheel or out of balance wheel can cause a similar affect, but you'd normally motice it under accelaration also.

If the whole car is shaking as opposed to mostly the pedal and steering wheel then it may be more attributed to some form of worn or miss alignment in the drivetrain/suspension setup.

Discs are pretty cheap as are pads. Personally I'd probably chuck some new ones on and see if it clears it up.

#5 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

My first car had warped discs. Used to drive along fine and when I braked the whole dash used to bounce. Was a plastic fantastic fiesta. They got so bad before I changed them :- it got to the point where the dash was bouncing when I was just driving normaly. I was only young so thought Id see how long I could go before changing them. Silly boy :w00t:

#6 300bhp/ton

300bhp/ton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

Yep that's sounds exactly like uneven carbon build up on the disc, and probably not a wapred one.

I could be wrong though..... :-

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

I always thought, through braking, the pads generally kept the disc pretty clean?

#8 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

Not really sure about this carbon build up malarky!

IMHO alot of wobbly brake syndrome is caused by either siezing calipers or sliders (OK, so sliders not relevant on a Mini with the two pot setup). Or by loose components.

Check that there is no play in the wheel bearing by jacking the car up and putting it on axle stands.

Check that the wheel turns freely and releases freely. Check that your pads are in OK condition whilst at it too. Also make sure that your brake rotors aint too badly scored or worn.

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

I’m betting that when the cv joins were done the bearings/hub nut wasn't torqued up with a flat washer first and then put together properly and re-touqued. Meaning the new cv joins aren't seated correctly and are moving around in the hub/bearings.

#10 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

I'm positive it was doing it before the new cv joints where put on, put I'll definitely have a good look tomorrow evening or soon anyway. I know the disks and pads are less than 2 months old - had them fitted by a mate.

Err to someone else's question, its the steering wheel as well that shakes - general shaky sound as well.

One note I should add - the near side tie bar is bent - would that make such a difference?

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

Have you given the new disks and pads time to bed in?

and the bent tie bar probaly won't help matters.

#12 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

its almost certainly the disks mine did it i got new disks and pads for like £25 and all is well.

#13 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

Just had this problem myself though not nearly as severe. One pad was rubbing with no brake applied, and when breaking heavily, got quite bad judder. Fitted new disks and pads this weekend and all is well.

My money's on the warped disk thing.

Matt

#14 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

Get a rule or some flat edge and offer it up to the disc surface. You should see any warpages

#15 theoldtartspimp

theoldtartspimp

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: minis unlimited & sw-pc

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

if the disc is warped when you press the brake gently it should firm up on its own because the discs are pushing the pads back into the caliper

best thing is to take of the wheel and get your brother to press the brake pedal gently just to make sure both pads move then turn the hub still with brake pedal pressed very gently to see weather the pads move back and forward in the caliper

i think it might be the piston sticking slightly but could be tracking wheel balancing or just general suspension set up somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users