32 replies to this topic

#16 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

Bit of an update today, spent the day hunting all the bad parts out so I could photograph them for the resto shop. Few of the worst bits.

Whole in bulkhead
Attached File  40EE75A9-65E4-4855-855A-3CE9C9A1214E.jpeg   41.27K   10 downloads

Back Qtrs completely rotten including the floors
Attached File  1C59FCB8-BF99-4F7A-B5D8-7244F1C5AFC5.jpeg   30.82K   4 downloads

This delightful hole in the boot floor
Attached File  E4C9A519-08DF-4480-9EDA-BB738F506759.jpeg   44.62K   2 downloads

Going to try and get so ‘estimates’ of costings from restoration shops next week to see the best next step. I personally think the amount of labour will drive the price up to high. If this is the case I’ll be doing it myself but at a much slower rate! We might make IMM2029 ??

Attached Files

#17 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

So Not much of an update for the Car but a real progress for the future works!! ;D

had some high quotes back from shops not really wanting to do the work so its back to plan A of teaching myself!

Today I let a small unit with my cousin to work on our cars! its always been a dream of mine to have a space to call my own to work on my 'projects'. The units on a secure farm with a load of others units all full of cars too. I'll be able to work all winter long in the warm and dry. Its got power too which means no generator and I can make a brew. Happy Days!  :proud:

going to move the old boy in before the weekend so i can have a good few days over next weekend working on him!

better order myself a welder when i get paid! Any recommendations? 

Dan

#18 hardtop

hardtop

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

not surprised at the high quotes for repairing as it looks like it needs restoration and pretty much most 90's minis rust in the same areas, so look at some of the builds of here and you'll get an idea of whats needed.

welder wise i'd recommend getting a co2/argon gas one, get a refillable non rental bottle and lastly get one that will go as low amps as you can afford, most cheapish welders will go down to 30 amps, better more expensive ones will go to 20 and 15 which makes it easier to weld rusty metal, dont be fooled by the highest amps that they can weld as you'll never need this doing bodywork

get 3/4 grinders

make/buy a spit or even make a trolley to wheel in and out of the garage as it will be easier to work on the bodyshell welding whilst lying on your back getting showered in sparks and molten blobs falling on you soon wears thin

take lots of photos and post em on here :D

#19 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

not surprised at the high quotes for repairing as it looks like it needs restoration and pretty much most 90's minis rust in the same areas, so look at some of the builds of here and you'll get an idea of whats needed.

welder wise i'd recommend getting a co2/argon gas one, get a refillable non rental bottle and lastly get one that will go as low amps as you can afford, most cheapish welders will go down to 30 amps, better more expensive ones will go to 20 and 15 which makes it easier to weld rusty metal, dont be fooled by the highest amps that they can weld as you'll never need this doing bodywork

get 3/4 grinders

make/buy a spit or even make a trolley to wheel in and out of the garage as it will be easier to work on the bodyshell welding whilst lying on your back getting showered in sparks and molten blobs falling on you soon wears thin

take lots of photos and post em on here :D

Thanks for the advise, yeah I agree with the quotes. All were fair just is a lot of labour! I’m picking a jig up in a few weeks. I’ll post the spec of the welder here before I buy it.

Will post lots of pics!

Thanks

#20 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

So got the car moved this week, was much easier than I imagined! It’s now Safe and sound in the new workshop! Even has a mate ?

Attached File  F0FA82DB-C8AB-4A14-9E32-B441B734BCAF.jpeg   44.04K   1 downloads

Attached File  CCE635A1-35B1-4478-80AA-CBEA1303FFF0.jpeg   47.66K   3 downloads

Really need to decide now exactly what spec I’m going to re build it too, especially engine etc.

#21 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

So had a solid day spent on the Mini in the new unit. Started sanding down the worst of the rust ready to cut panels out in the next few weeks. Have a Jig to collect next week and someone has kindly offered lend me a welder so can really start to crack on.

Some of today’s finds! by the way taking that sound deadening off the is the worst job so far! Especially in a garage over 30 degrees ?

Attached File  31877F7C-F1F9-4E7A-804E-7A3C29489572.jpeg   36.5K   1 downloadsAttached File  B752529B-7AD3-41AA-B65A-98D1A207BF2E.jpeg   41.16K   0 downloadsAttached File  207814C6-282C-4C73-A2D9-B027DA4FC70B.jpeg   50.93K   1 downloadsAttached File  D3E0A6F1-5921-45C5-BB8B-E6B431D187F3.jpeg   37.35K   0 downloadsAttached File  52771636-0E20-42B9-84DD-EC5D0EB35E4A.jpeg   44.27K   0 downloadsAttached File  953D4E13-74CA-47C2-8DE5-9E0C3845E1ED.jpeg   47.92K   0 downloadsAttached File  D23C4953-A968-4C13-BB0A-FD0DEB1D18FA.jpeg   27.75K   0 downloadsAttached File  4B930740-917B-46D5-8BB0-462A9A5C7E06.jpeg   36.48K   0 downloadsAttached File  979626ED-5624-4AEA-8D8C-A42DDB7F4E13.jpeg   53.36K   0 downloads

Bit stuck now with what panel to cut out first, I’ve got to replace every panel from the doors back including floors, heel board and rear qtrs. anyone got any recommendations of where to start? Was thinking boot floor first?

At this rate it may be easier to re shell it ?

Thanks

#22 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

Did a bit more work this weekend and last night on Alan. Test fitted the Mini on the Jig, cut the rear valance off and prepped the bracing ready to weld in once I can use my bloody welder ?

Boot floor will be replaced anyway so wasn’t worried about the state of that but have noticed there’s daylight in my rear back panel and both wheel wells so that’s more to add to the list. I reckon it’s going to be every single panel by the time I’m done. Attached File  675471C9-946E-4A02-863F-57A29E66A290.jpeg   44.92K   1 downloads

Attached File  2F4B04B2-987B-4DA6-B75F-7966FC42A0CC.jpeg   37.55K   1 downloads

Attached File  FC4C1115-685A-488F-9C35-DC2E7D694788.jpeg   39.32K   3 downloads

Attached File  8D4F6AE9-2EFD-4D4A-8A11-85297857B902.jpeg   66.67K   4 downloads

Now I need help for anyone that actually reads this ? my original plan was to start with the boot floor, then wheel arches then move onto sills etc after. Basically work from the rear forward. But with all the rot I’m assuming every panel is the same. I know my floor needs a least a patch would it be easier to start with the floor and sills to see what I’m dealing with or stick to my game plan?

Lots of head scratching going on at the moment!

Dan

#23 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

Have you considered having the shell media blasted? If there's a lot of rust this will get you back to sound metal and you'll know exactly what you're up against. If you do, best to remove any completely shot outer panels first so they can get at the inner ones.

#24 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

Have you considered having the shell media blasted? If there's a lot of rust this will get you back to sound metal and you'll know exactly what you're up against. If you do, best to remove any completely shot outer panels first so they can get at the inner ones.

yeah i did think about that, there's even mobile guys now however i'd imagine that'll make a right mess! i'm not sure i'll have much mini left if i do though and i'm worried about the structure of the shell even braced. Like i said before the biggest issue for me is on a car that needs every panel replacing whats the best one to start with? that's my headache ATM. Its a much bigger project than I originally thought and for my first one its going to be tough without the knowledge!

cheers

#25 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

There are plenty of experienced welders on this forum to ask once you have a full picture of the extent of rust damage. I've never welded a body but I would imagine that you'd replace the biggest panel first floor?) and work out/up from there.

#26 MiniLuke

MiniLuke

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

I think I’d start with main floor and heel board first. Once that’s sorted, boot floor. I think starting with the boot floor would mean possibly coming unstuck if the heel board is knackered as you’d have little to fix it to.

#27 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

** Thread revival **

So after a long time away from the Mini he's finally Back!

Afternoon storing the mini for two years, moving to Cornwall from the midlands I've now finally got him down here and back on my own land!

Currently storing in in an old field shelter which I'm going to convert into a make shift workshop. Does have probably the best view I've seen a workshop have lol  :lol:  I plan to get myself set up ready for the Winter so I can freeze to death trying to make a start on the welding! Trying to decide whether to get the shell Media blasted or to do it grind/sand each panel back bit by bit.

Here's a picture of him being moved 250miles in the back of a Sprinter Van  :gimme:

Attached Files

#28 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 02 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

Get it blasted, clean it out, prime it up to protect it then start metalwork. I do it with every shell I restore, mine and customers. You're going to need to find all the rust anyway and get everything clean, blasting will do this for you.

#29 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Get it blasted, clean it out, prime it up to protect it then start metalwork. I do it with every shell I restore, mine and customers. You're going to need to find all the rust anyway and get everything clean, blasting will do this for you.

yes this was my first thought thanks for the advise. There's a mobile company that will come out and do it so give the a call.

thanks 

#30 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

I would have it blasted but I would paint strip any big panels exterior  that you are planning to keep (thinking mainly about the roof) as the blasting process is likely to damage them.  You can then just get the edges/gutters blasted.

Once in bare metal spray it in epoxy primer, you need a compressor and a spray gun (a cheap gravity gun from toolstation is fine for this).  I use this stuff Mipa EP-Grundierfiller Epoxy primer 2k 5L + EP-Hardener E10 2.5L | eBay , 6 litres mixed was enough to do an entire MK2 jag bodyshell without doors, boot or bonnet.

The epoxy is water resistant unlike other primers and so once in this it should stay rust free while you work on the rusty bits (apart from where you grind it off of course to weld) which is hand if your workshop isn't heated and you are going to take a while to get it done. 

Also get a rotisserie to work on it, I used these guys for mine ROLLOVER JIG Kit ,SPIT, ROTISSERIE, MINI, Clubman, Van, Pick-up, Estate, Cooper | eBay

you might find a cheaper one as a mini is fairly light, I use mine on MK2 Jags and its a good strong bit of kit.

I've always found the best way to tackle something like this (especially if its your first one) is to break it down into task and do a task, for example if your going to change the whole floor do that and consider it a milestone.  A lot of people look at the enormity of the task and get demoralised, i've always (even now having restored dozens of cars) broken it down into tasks like the floors, then the sills, then the front inner wings, then the front outer wings, then the boot floor or however you want to do it.  The main thing is don't get bogged down with it all or it will never get done.

Best of luck, one day you will look back at a welded up shell and thing "I did that!" and if you want to see what is possible for a self taught welder in home workshop to achieve you have only to look at these forums :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users