#16 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

I would rather pay a little more and get a remastered mini

Do you mean the David Brown Mini?  They've done a cracking job of that.

#17 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

Fwiw I drive a hybrid car with a battery in the back so I'm not poo pooing electric cars.

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

Electric cars don't smell right.  Nor have petrol engined cars since they had to have catalytic converters.

#19 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

yes i would for the extra cost much more refined

#20 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:17 AM

yes i would for the extra cost much more refined

Although legislation probably prevented it from happening it would have been brilliant if Rover had done this to the Mini - it's a proper up to date Mini without detracting from the character of the original.

#21 ryanlogsdon

ryanlogsdon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:59 PM

They've opened up their order page now.

What do you guys think of the final specs and prices?  I personally like that there's a choice of power inverters. I want long, easy drives, not fast bursts for racing.

specifications: https://swind.life/products/hpd-2/

price list / reservation page: https://webshop.swin...&product_id=261

Edited by ryanlogsdon, 11 June 2020 - 09:01 PM.

#22 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

So just shy of £8000 for the motor and diff, plus £2400 for the low-voltage inverter...

It looks like the low-voltage version would give you roughly 70 hp at the wheels (70 kW peak from the inverter).

It's a nice package for a Mini or other small classic car, and I guess a few people will have pockets deep enough, but there are much cheaper ways of doing it. There are a few good conversion shops in the US that could probably put together a cheaper solution for mating to a small transaxle (transverse gearbox and diff).

#23 ryanlogsdon

ryanlogsdon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 06:07 PM

There are a few good conversion shops in the US that could probably put together a cheaper solution for mating to a small transaxle (transverse gearbox and diff).

Hey Malcolm,

If you've got some links, I'd love to check them out!

Thanks,

Ryan

#24 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:35 PM

Hi Ryan,

Here's a link to HPEVS, which makes it's own range of AC motors for use with Curtis inverters (which Swindon also uses in its low-voltage system):
https://www.hpevs.co...conversions.htm

There's a list of US conversion shops on the linked page. I've bought a few items from Thunderstruck Motors in the past and I know EV West have done many good conversions (including a Mini Moke), but I can't vouch personally for the others.

#25 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:45 PM

Link to the Mini Moke conversion: https://youtu.be/j0g3ypjBL9Q

#26 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 13 June 2020 - 06:37 AM

So just shy of £8000 for the motor and diff, plus £2400 for the low-voltage inverter...

It looks like the low-voltage version would give you roughly 70 hp at the wheels (70 kW peak from the inverter).

It's a nice package for a Mini or other small classic car, and I guess a few people will have pockets deep enough, but there are much cheaper ways of doing it. There are a few good conversion shops in the US that could probably put together a cheaper solution for mating to a small transaxle (transverse gearbox and diff).

So its 8 grand for the motor and then you have batteries on top?

#27 ryanlogsdon

ryanlogsdon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:01 AM

Hi Ryan,

Here's a link to HPEVS, which makes it's own range of AC motors for use with Curtis inverters (which Swindon also uses in its low-voltage system):
https://www.hpevs.co...conversions.htm

There's a list of US conversion shops on the linked page. I've bought a few items from Thunderstruck Motors in the past and I know EV West have done many good conversions (including a Mini Moke), but I can't vouch personally for the others.

Thanks Malcolm!

#28 ryanlogsdon

ryanlogsdon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:15 AM

So its 8 grand for the motor and then you have batteries on top?

To my understanding, it'll mount perfectly to a Mini's transmission.  That means no adaptor plate, and as low-tech as a mounting plate is, I'm seeing that they're really expensive, some are over a thousand dollars, because they all have custom hole patterns.

But I'm with you, I was hoping for a lower price.  A few months back, I tallied that this kit (or "crate motor" as they call it) will replace about $6000 worth of components.  I think that extra $2000 is their convenience fee.

I'm going to call the makers and see what more I can learn.  If I find anything of interest, I'll let you guys know.

Ryan

#29 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:36 AM

Costs are still very high in the EV market and are likely to remain so. Tesla are trying get battery cost to less than $100/kw which for a Model S is around $8000 cost to Tesla for the battery alone. Add to that the extremely high tech motor(s) and the component cost gets pretty serious ... hence Tesla's long time coming to turn a profit. Their battery investment will secure their future though, the markets have already valued Tesla (momentarily) higher than Toyota who produce 30x as many vehicles. It's definitely the future though and as such classic conversions are likely to become quite popular.

#30 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:52 AM

To my understanding, it'll mount perfectly to a Mini's transmission.  That means no adaptor plate,

Ryan

The Swindon unit completely replaces the original Mini transmission with a single-gear reduction and differential in one housing. You need to use their custom output shafts to replace the original Mini shafts.

I guess you will also need to add new mounting points to the Mini subframe, as the existing engine mountings are unlikely to be in the right place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users