• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:27 AM

Well done. I had an 850 Mini as my second car in 1963 and it sure was under-powered by modern standards. One aspect of driving such a slow car is, as stated above, the need to carry the speed smoothly into and through a corner. That make for better driving observation and overall safe/smooth driving which is so sadly lacking in the vast majority of drivers today.

Your car looks great as well.

#17 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:09 PM

Quick update, the Moo is really running well. good oil pressure, perfect temp and goes as well as a stage one modded motor ever could.

Still loving the 850 . Smooth and great fun trying to maintain momentum. I did plan to build up the 1100 engine I have in bits but frankly I don't feel the need at all so selling that on

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:12 PM

you drive an 850 differently as it takes so long to get going you try and be more smooth, slow down a big for light's and traffic ahead so you can keep going. with a bigger engine it's much easier to stop, get backup to speed etc. so people don't read the road ahead as much if at all and the driving standards have slipped as a result.

I've got soulless little eurobox with "infotainment" that tracks mpg. I can average over 70 mpg around town when the roads are quiet. When it's busier & I have to go with the flow 40-45mpg is typical.

#19 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Anyone selling their 850 engine or any aociated bits i may be interested...

Brilliant to drive and econimical..

World gone full circle... used to be small cubic capacity.. then big.... now back to small capacity..but with a turbo bolted on...

#20 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 04:09 PM

Back then the early 850 used a 3.76 final drive, which made it 'nippy' around town but short of breath of fast roads. As far as hills were concerned you used the gearbox, the same as most other cars on the road at the time. That's what gearboxes are for.

#21 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 04:57 PM

I found that a lighter flywheel (nothing too radical) really helped my asthmatic 998 accelerate - presumably it would help an 850 get off the mark too.

#22 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

Overtook a Daewoo matiz coming off a roundabout. Flying ;)

Seriously though the 850 is all about maximum low speed fun, I've found the balance of enjoyment and economy with this particular Mini.

Getting the running gear in good order has really helped i.e. brakes in excellent working order so not sticking (8.4" discs and unipart nos pads) plus kybs and hilos enabling the meagre stage one tuned 850 to be used to its fullest extent.

Off out now for a day out hundred mile round trip, looking forward!

Edited by ads7, 05 July 2021 - 08:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users