#1 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi all.
I was in bad traffic the other day, and my car temp's was just past half way. is this normal, as ive never had my car stand still for so long in traffic like that b4. my idle went up to 1500 rpm as well.

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

mini's do tend to get a little toasty in traffic but check the rad fluid is still nice and clean.

could just need a change.

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:43 AM

The temp getting up to halfway isn't a bad thing at all (as long as your gauge is reading accurately).

Most cars will run hotter sat in traffic like that, mine ceratinly all have. Unless the temperature keeps creeping up then I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

mini's do tend to get a little toasty in traffic but check the rad fluid is still nice and clean.

could just need a change.

I checked the water today, and its all gunky with like cooper looking gunge.
What shall i do to clean it all out, best way. my rads at the front tho. thanks

#5 alicetheauto

alicetheauto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: Rusty Nuts Minis, Leicester

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Coppery stuff= rust! Remember you have a cast iron engine block, which has heat and water flowing through it. The perfect opportunity for iron to rust. I am sure there is a description of flushing your engine/radiator somewhere on here, else consult the Haynes book of lies for details. Its perfectly natural for a Mini to have that colour in the water. As long as there is not too much sludge, and as long as there is NO mayonnaise, its fine!

#6 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Coppery stuff= rust! Remember you have a cast iron engine block, which has heat and water flowing through it. The perfect opportunity for iron to rust. I am sure there is a description of flushing your engine/radiator somewhere on here, else consult the Haynes book of lies for details. Its perfectly natural for a Mini to have that colour in the water. As long as there is not too much sludge, and as long as there is NO mayonnaise, its fine!

It's mayonnaise all right lol I better check around on best way :ermm:

Cant find best way on here to flushing your radiator

Edited by Mark1275GT, 17 October 2006 - 06:51 PM.

#7 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

by maonaise (white gunk) im assuming you're referring to oil and water mixing which would cause concern!!

if its brown gunk, more like barbecue sause or the aftermath of a vindaloo then a flush shud be ok!!

Edited by fikus01, 17 October 2006 - 06:52 PM.

#8 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

by maonaise (white gunk) im assuming you're referring to oil and water mixing which would cause concern!!

if its brown gunk, more like barbecue sause or the aftermath of a vindaloo then a flush shud be ok!!

No its Coppery. just got find best way to flush it all ?

#9 overboost

overboost

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: Plymouth

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

If its creamy mayo colour this would point towards a head gasket failure which in turn over time would cause overheating issues. If it is just rusty water coloured then dont worry about it, it will be fine if you are worried just flush the water out and replace with the correct coolant mixture (30 coolant / 70 water).

As far as I know the a-series engines will run reasonably warm temperature wise, just check the fan is spinning correctly and that there are no water leaks etc.

#10 Amber Hughes

Amber Hughes

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Zone and Retro Car Club

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

If its creamy mayo colour this would point towards a head gasket failure which in turn over time would cause overheating issues. If it is just rusty water coloured then dont worry about it, it will be fine if you are worried just flush the water out and replace with the correct coolant mixture (30 coolant / 70 water).

As far as I know the a-series engines will run reasonably warm temperature wise, just check the fan is spinning correctly and that there are no water leaks etc.

My chap does know what he is on about so I hope this helped ya

#11 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:51 PM

Change water and put anti freeze in side.. run much better.. was rusty colour.. thanks :genius:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users