#1 EssexMiniCity

EssexMiniCity

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

On behalf of my brother:

Apparently the rubber neck on the fuel tank of his Clubman Estate has disintegrated and he fears that part of it may have dropped inside the tank itself. He's tried to start the car but there's a clear case of fuel starvation and it won't turn over - he believes that the bit of rubber is blocking the way. Having just filled the tank up with petrol beforehand how can he get the blockage shifted?

Is it only possible if the whole tank is removed?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:26 AM

That's the usual way, eg petrol caps whic dissintegrate.... take tank out turn upside down and shake about a bit...

?? does rubber float in petrol ?? if it does then that aint your problem :ermm:

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

hmmmm, well the rubber type foamy gasket thing floats... but that wont have falled in,... so if it's the cap.. which is rubber (?) then i belive it wont float... i'm not sure though, I've never had to retrieve anything, was there any signs of it disintegrating before it fell in?

**edit** OH! it's a clubman estate.. sorry... you mean the neck lol (sorry, i do usually read threads before posting on them) I can't see why those bits would float.... i could find out by dropping some into my jerry cna of petrol in garage.

Edited by Retro_10s, 18 October 2006 - 09:48 AM.

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

Any rubber will probably be sitting in the bottom of the tank. However, on the sedans there is a screen filter on the intake for the fuel pickup tube. Do the van/estate/pickup have a screen as well? I'd think BMC/BL/Rover would have put the screen on all tanks.

It's easy enough to figure out if this is a fuel problem. Regardless of whether the car has a mechanical or electric fuel pump, disconnect the fuel line at the carb(s) and place the open end of the tube in a canister. With the help of a friend, turn the engine over on the starter and observe whether or not the canister is filling with gas. If the pump is pumping, your failure to start is not in the tank. You could still have fuel starvation if rubber crumbs made it to the float valve in the carb(s). First determine if fuel is getting to the front of the car.

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

hope u got a big jerry can or ust lots of them!! looks liek you're going to be enptying your tank and dropping it out!! its very very heavy if u dont empty it!! i believe on the top of a estate tank theres a bolt on part that has the sender in it!! mite help you in retriving the bits that have possibly gone it in!! never seen one tho so cant say for sure!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users