#16 ilmung

ilmung

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:18 AM

Well that's my problem !

I did the installation as you say ...... but  the underam takes a total other position compared with the  original rubber bushes .

I will do another try on Monday to be sure I did not make a mistake somewhere.

I let you know .

Edited by ilmung, 06 September 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,949 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:33 PM

I seem to recall these bushes, apart from being harder, have the off-sets for when extra Castor is dialed in. That pulls the lower arm forward and with stock bushes, can skew them, giving a shorter life.

#18 ilmung

ilmung

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

You mean that when you install this bushes ,the underarm will slighty move forward to reach easier the higher caster ?

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:21 AM

You mean that when you install this bushes ,the underarm will slighty move forward to reach easier the higher caster ?

Not quite. The bushes themselves won't 'angle' the Lower Arm on their own, an adjustable Castor Rod is for that, but, when these are fitted, and extra Castor is dialed in, these bushes are supposed to cope much better with the 'new' angle that the lower arm will be put at.

#20 Minicarter

Minicarter

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for everyone’s comments here and my apologies for the delayed response.

Can anyone recommend a supplier for quality rubber lower arm bushes? I believe the last I used (and have failed) were from Minispares.

#21 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:19 PM

A young guy came and asked me last autumn "These lines mean something, but I don't quite understand".

We looked it up, and the explanation could be more concise, but it left me thinking, and I told him, Paddy Hopkirk won the Monty 3 times with standard bushes.

I know that it didn't help him, but a asked him "Are you going to be driving that hard" ? If not, why fall for the bovine excrement ?

Paddy’s mini was red and white, so why have any other colour combo?

Tech has moved on since 1964, minis are good, but better with well setup geometry.

First.  Please let me be quite clear that my post does not question the driving ability of "Ilmung" .

@ Midas.   Fair comment.  A 648 cam gives a lot of power on a circuit, but it is not much use to the average driver in normal town and country driving.

I have raced on Rose jointed suspension, and what fractions can be gained on a dozen corners can easily be lost on the thirteenth, where rubber bushes are more forgiving.

If Mr. Hopkirk can win the Monty with standard bushes, I just wonder whether the average driver is being sold a bush, from which they are not likely to gain any advantage ?

I agree here, however I think many of these fancy bushes are being bought up these days due to the poor quality rubber offerings from many of the retailers.

I ran with high castor angle for years on (Leyland) stock rubber bushes, did many more miles than Mr. Hopkirk did over much worse roads (tracks) and I can't recall ever needing to change them over a 15 year period and some 120 000 km. If you look about, these same bushes are still available.

I did try a set of these off set bushes in one of my Minis, I know they are popular, but I can't say I was crazy about them.

#22 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:53 AM

And read this bit ...

Always periodically check the locknut on the lower arm pin that holds these bushes. Many racers drill a plain nut and enter a split pin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users