15 replies to this topic

#1 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:13 PM

Is this the right Ignition Coil for my 1980 1275GT MG METRO TURBO ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...Vie...:PIC&rd=1

Edited by Mark1275GT, 19 October 2006 - 11:25 PM.

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

??? you what? is what the correct coil??

#3 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

??? you what? is what the correct coil??

sorry been edited ;D

#4 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

it'll do the job, yes...

#5 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

hi is it a 1275 gt or a metro turbo with electric dizzy because if it has an elec dizzy then no i dont think it will work but if its a 1275 gt with points then yes i should work ?

#6 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

hi is it a 1275 gt or a metro turbo with electric dizzy because if it has an elec dizzy then no i dont think it will work but if its a 1275 gt with points then yes i should work ?

Its MG METRO TURBO.
I had a look in side the Distributor cap. and it has a rotor arm. would this mean it's a eelctric or not ? thanks

#7 SqUeAkY

SqUeAkY

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

I just bought the same coil, the DLB105 Lucas sports coil is for all "A" series engines which are non ballast systems. The way to discover if you have a ballast or non ballast system is to look at the wires going to the coil.

If you have pink and yellow wires that is a ballast system, If the wires are white and white/black then that is a non ballast system which the DLB105 coil fit's.

However with a new engine in a older car who knows does the distributor have a black electronic module on the side of it. If so then the distributor is a electronic one.

I hope this helps

#8 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

[indent=1]

I just bought the same coil, the DLB105 Lucas sports coil is for all "A" series engines which are non ballast systems. The way to discover if you have a ballast or non ballast system is to look at the wires going to the coil.

If you have pink and yellow wires that is a ballast system, If the wires are white and white/black then that is a non ballast system which the DLB105 coil fit's.

However with a new engine in a older car who knows does the distributor have a black electronic module on the side of it. If so then the distributor is a electronic one.

I hope this helps

It has some sort of thing on the side like this ? the wires are 2 blue, and red and orange. ?
This isnt my one tho..

Attached Files

• Attached File  D.JPG   17.96K   5 downloads

Edited by Mark1275GT, 21 October 2006 - 05:48 PM.

#9 SqUeAkY

SqUeAkY

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

That looks like a vacuum unit. Do you have a vacuum pipe from the carb (might be through a tee piece) going into the side of the distributor. If so it sounds like a points and condensor style distributor. As for the wiring i would think you have a ballast system, but i am only guessing. Give Baldrick a call at Minispeed (i'm not sure of the number www.minispeed.co.uk) he should know.

#10 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

That looks like a vacuum unit. Do you have a vacuum pipe from the carb (might be through a tee piece) going into the side of the distributor. If so it sounds like a points and condensor style distributor. As for the wiring i would think you have a ballast system, but i am only guessing. Give Baldrick a call at Minispeed (i'm not sure of the number www.minispeed.co.uk) he should know.

this is from inside my engine... im not sure to be honnest, im still learning the mini engine :proud:

Attached Files

Edited by Mark1275GT, 21 October 2006 - 06:21 PM.

#11 SqUeAkY

SqUeAkY

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

Was there supposed to be a picture attached to the last post lol. When you looked inside the dizzy cap was there a set of points as well, two bits of metal that open and close as the engine turns over. It does sound strange that a metro turbo lump would have a dizzy with a set of points, i would have thought it would have been electronic, but there we go.

ha ha!! i see the link. Still does not provide enough info. All you can see is that the wiring has been changed "modified" to suit the engine change. However that is one sweet looking engine bay, nice and clean. :proud:

#12 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

Was there supposed to be a picture attached to the last post lol. When you looked inside the dizzy cap was there a set of points as well, two bits of metal that open and close as the engine turns over. It does sound strange that a metro turbo lump would have a dizzy with a set of points, i would have thought it would have been electronic, but there we go.

ha ha!! i see the link. Still does not provide enough info. All you can see is that the wiring has been changed "modified" to suit the engine change. However that is one sweet looking engine bay, nice and clean. :proud:

Could u provide a pic to what it would look like inside the dizzy .. ?

#13 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

:genius:

Edited by Mark1275GT, 01 November 2006 - 09:29 PM.

#14 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

This the right coil for the electronic dizzy. thanks ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

#15 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:23 PM

OOOPs sorry for the to many posts.

Got hold of the guy who built the car. this is what he said. AND for those who have a MG METRO TURBO ENGINE AND COMES ACROSS this problem. u now know. ;) The electronic ignition of the MG requires 12 volts all the time (do not use the ballast resistor coil with the electronic distributor), so it's a none ballast .. so its a 12v coil :w00t:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...bayphotohosting

Edited by Mark1275GT, 02 November 2006 - 02:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users