#46 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

...They also seem to feel that saved money is wasted money.  It is money that they should have got their hands on, because they know best how to squander it.

Economics is the political misunderstanding of commerce.

They'll be coming after physical cash soon enough, much easier to debase fiat if you can't hide it from them!

#47 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:21 AM

I would say that I am not well off but through hard work and even more good luck and a fantastic partner/wife.I am pretty comfortable. I am not the brightest person in the world but have common sense, lucky enough to get on the property ladder at 21, bought and sold a few houses over the years and luck played a part in moving on up the ladder with house prices climbing, at 28 decided to start my own business in engineering (background in fabrication and welding and hydraulics etc)had this for 8 years then sold it to my best customer in 2008, that's was very good timing with the credit crunch etc, about the same time as this started a family and due to the business sale was lucky enough to spend time at home with them and watch them growing up. while all this is going on my partner qualified as an accountant and worked her way up the ladder through hard work and determination. Nothing wrong with borrowing money as long as you can afford the credit and its for the right thing. I borrowed to start the business and to finance machines etc. nothing wrong with finance as long as its used right. so hard work, a fantastic supporting partner but most of all good luck... not bad going really as in my last day of school my class teacher predicted I would be a dosser on street corners and in prison before I was 20 !

#48 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

I would say that I am not well off but through hard work and even more good luck and a fantastic partner/wife.I am pretty comfortable. I am not the brightest person in the world but have common sense, lucky enough to get on the property ladder at 21, bought and sold a few houses over the years and luck played a part in moving on up the ladder with house prices climbing, at 28 decided to start my own business in engineering (background in fabrication and welding and hydraulics etc)had this for 8 years then sold it to my best customer in 2008, that's was very good timing with the credit crunch etc, about the same time as this started a family and due to the business sale was lucky enough to spend time at home with them and watch them growing up,  while all this is going on my partner qualified as an accountant and worked her way up the ladder through hard work and determination. Nothing wrong with borrowing money as long as you can afford the credit and its for the right thing. I borrowed to start the business and to finance machines etc. nothing wrong with finance as long as its used right. so hard work, a fantastic supporting partner but most of all good luck... not bad going really as in my last day of school my class teacher predicted I would be a dosser on street corners and in prison before I was 20 !

I was 35 when I married, mature enough to realise that, as you say, "Spending time with children and watching them grow up" was something that money can't buy.

I wouldn't say that I'm lucky, but I have been fortunate, which I try not to take for granted and enjoy sharing.

#49 panch1989

panch1989

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

I would say I'm incredibly fortunate. I am 30. I could retire today, live and support my family. I enjoy my job so for now, I'll continue. The minute I dont enjoy it. I'll leave and retire. All of this I earned myself. No bank of mum and dad. Son of council estate parents. Happiness is key. Money is just paper and numbers at the end of the day.

#50 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

I always say money doesnt make the world go around but you do need it to survive which is the problem. We are not well off, but we are better then my sister in law for example who is a single parent to a 2 year old. We all need money to keep a roof over our head and food in our cupboards at the most basic level. If we didnt have money we would still be trading 10 chickens for 1 sheep or something like that.

Like people have said above i dont carry cash normally so money is just a number on a screen for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users