#1 topcat

topcat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Local Club: Six-Ex Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

Hi, Sorry to bring starters up again but just wondering if anyone has done this. Would be easier/cheaper than changing my ring gear or modding my wiring.

If not, is there a suitable place to mount an inertia type solenoid at the front so i dont have to extend the alternator wires etc....

Cheers

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

i have seen an inertia solenoid mounted just above the starter on the bit of metal that supports the top of you're grill, does that make sense!! tho having said that it really isnt that hard to convert over the wiring the way you want to!! especially since you're going from pre-engaged to inertia!!! you have all the wire you need, u just need to shorten it!!

going the other way from a solenoid and inertia ro pre engaged is a pain because u have to lengthen everything!!

EDIT: where are you from?? not heard of ur miniclub before!! if ur in essex i cud give u a hand!!

Edited by fikus01, 21 October 2006 - 10:19 AM.

#3 topcat

topcat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

Getting ready to put in the inertia starter now. I will have to extend the alternator wires if I put the solenoid on the wing.

I was thinking, could I jst mount the solenoid above the starter using the top starter motor bolt for the solenoid aswell?

By the way fikus01, Six-ex mini club is in Corsham, Wiltshire. Joined last year because I was working there and I'm going back next year. I'm in Uxbridge at this year.

Edited by topcat, 03 November 2006 - 12:25 PM.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

yeah that works fine!! just something thats worth pointing out!! the starter motors have a different number ot teeth!! inertia may not be compatible with pre engaged!! check before u try otherwise damage may occur!!

#5 topcat

topcat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

All sorted, fitted the solenoid on the top rail as sugessted next to the horn. Inertia is the right one, sounds much more healthy!

#6 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

this is cool, does this mean i can use a normal solinoid on a pre engaged starter as appose to the really expensive one that mounts to it..

#7 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

as long as u have the right flywheel/starter combo yes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users