50 replies to this topic

#1 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:36 PM

hi guys bought this unfinished project few months back and looking to try finish off.

it was stored in a container for few years

Attached Files

#2 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

looking for some advice for rear set up. the car came with a beam axel but looking like by using it the front wheels would sit wider than the back. can anyone advise what they used on back ? standard subframe maybe ? have a decent budget to finish the car off and will use outside help when required just dont want it sitting doing nothing for years

#3 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

some more pics

#4 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

Looks like it's used the metro k series front subframe

#5 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:51 PM

Do you know of any threads on here that have used this frame that i can take inspiration from ?

#6 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:12 AM

Do you know of any threads on here that have used this frame that i can take inspiration from ?

Try the 16v mini forum, should be plenty on here. Im not too clued up on the engine swaps

#7 hutch8282

hutch8282

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:10 AM

Looks sweet, is it B16 or B18?

Is that the radiator in the back seat with all that copper tubing? might want to relocate that if it is.

Keep us posted.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

Is that the radiator in the back seat with all that copper tubing? might want to relocate that if it is.

Keep us posted.

It's cold 'up North'.  That's Ayrshire thoughtfulness for the rear passenger's comfort.

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

looking for some advice for rear set up. the car came with a beam axel but looking like by using it the front wheels would sit wider than the back. can anyone advise what they used on back ? standard subframe maybe ? have a decent budget to finish the car off and will use outside help when required just dont want it sitting doing nothing for years

Stick with the beam axle on single struts and a Panhard Rod.

It is simple and above all, predictable.

The front end will need all your concentration, because that thing is going to handle with all the finesse of a thrown sledge hammer.

#10 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

Keep us posted.

B16 engine mate & yes thats the radiator in the back seat witht the copper pipe lol it was the first thing to be removed. Never asked why he put it there

#11 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

Stick with the beam axle on single struts and a Panhard Rod.

It is simple and above all, predictable.

The front end will need all your concentration, because that thing is going to handle with all the finesse of a thrown sledge hammer.

Im fortunate enough my brother in law is a motor sport fabricator so hoping he will make up a new rear axle or modify the one thats there. With the one supplied using original rear arms the rear width is 100mm short each side compared to the front. I will get some photos of it tomorrow

#12 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:12 PM

Some pics of the beam axle i currently have. looking like a new one will be fabricated bought some mini hubs and square stub axles to use. hoping the axle will be done this week or next. In the mean time i have removed the copper pipes and rad from the back seats and have a couple of patches to weld from where the shell was blasted. Bought my own autostar mig 160 and my brother in law will show me the ropes so i can repair these areas while he makes up the axle

Attached Files

#13 geachy87

geachy87

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

I’ve never seen a k series subframe use mini lower arms and tie bars before. Can you get pictures of how the frame is modified to fit them?

#14 paulpizza

paulpizza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

I’ve never seen a k series subframe use mini lower arms and tie bars before. Can you get pictures of how the frame is modified to fit them?

I will try get some photos tonight having my rear axel fabricated at the moment so hoping to go over and fit it to the car

#15 geachy87

geachy87

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Thanks. Can you get photos of how the frame is mounted to the car as well? Looks different to mine where it mounts to the floor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users